Monday, January 17, 2005

Winter Chills

It's Wintertime and you know what that means. Movies! Well, technically anytime is movie time for me, but this post has a theme: Frighteningly chilling movies that take place during the winter. I LOVE a good thriller and some of my favorites just happen to take place in the good ol' wintertime. So shovel that snow, high-tail it to the video store, get provisions (popcorn, Hot Pockets, vodka... okay, maybe not vodka, but still, you get the idea) and nestle in for a night of terror. Don't forget to lock the doors.

The Boogens. © 1982
Some Things Shouldn't Be Disturbed...

Synopsis: When greedy townspeople investigate the mysterious contents of an abandoned mine, they set free the monstrous inhabitants--"Boogens"--that have been trapped inside for the last century.
Comments: Ah, flashback time. The first time I saw the trailer for this movie on television is indelibly imprinted in my mind. I remember thinking it looked scary as shit. I SO wanted to go see it, but my parents were never one to sit through 'R' rated scary movies with me. I was pretty much on my own if I wanted to do that. It's not so much that they didn't want me to see them, they just didn't want to have to sit through them. Sigh. Parents. Anyway, when I did finally get to see this movie it WAS just as creepy as the trailer made it look. Fuckin' stressed me out. It's not your typical horror flick, it's got a good plot and genuinely relies on SUSPENSE not gore (always a plus, in my book). I remember almost not being able to stand it, wondering what 'The Boogens' looked like. My imagination was going wild (a sure sign of a well crafted thriller). The story can get a little slow at times, but if you stick with it, it's worth it. One of the stars is Anne-Marie Martin AKA the rich bitch "Wendy" from the 80's slasher Prom Night. Rent the movie or read the book.

Dead of Winter. © 1987
Synopsis: Katie McGovern is a struggling actress living with her lazy husband and her student brother. She attends an audition that she found in the paper and is selected to shoot a short video which will be sent to the director for his approval. Mr. Murray, the auditioner, picks Katie up and takes her to a remote mansion where they shoot the video. Katie is selected to replace the previous lead in the film who looks remarkably like her. Soon, however, things begin to look as if they are not what they seem.
Comments: Ah, this movie takes me back. I remember seeing it in the theater. If I recall, suspense thrillers were pretty big that year and I went to every one I could. This was one of those that I remember being one of my favorites. "Old school"-style chiller, both figuratively and literally.

Jennifer 8. © 1992
On the trail of a serial killer, Detective John Berlin has no clues. No suspects. And no alibi.

Synopsis: A big city cop from L.A. moves to a small town police force and immediately finds himself investigating a murder using theories rejected by his colleagues. The cop, John Berlin, meets a young blind woman named Helena, who he is attracted to. Meanwhile, a serial killer is on the loose and only John knows it.
Comments: I can't say enough good things about this movie. It's definitely high on my list of favorite thrillers. I love everything about it: plot, cast (Andy Garcia, Uma Thurman, John Malkovich, Kathy Baker), music score, suspense-factor. I remember seeing this one multiple times in the theater (I took everyone I could get my hands on to go see it). One of the things that I SO remember about this movie was how completely pissed off I got at John Malkovich's character (I really got into the movie). I swear, if you don't want to punch him in the face after his performance during the FBI interrogation scene, you just don't have a pulse. It's really great. I implore you, if you love suspense and a good mystery, you will LOVE this movie. It also has a dynamite ending. So do yourself a favor and go rent it tonight, but don't watch it alone. You've been warned.

Snowbeast. © 1977
The legendary creature is half man... half animal... and a cold-blooded killer!

Synopsis: A Colorado ski resort is besieged by a sub-human beast that commits brutal murders on the slopes.
Comments: This is one of those great made-for-TV movies from the late 70's that scarred me for life. Lol! Seriously though, I remember this movie SERIOUSLY creeped me out. I remember being totally freaked out by the scenes where the yeti showed himself, even briefly. CREEPY! Though the IMDB doesn't show Snowbeast to be available on DVD, it IS. It's available on a DVD triple-feature called: Classic Creature Movies. The other 2 films include Creature and Track of the Moon Beast. It's a good transfer and well under $5 at Half.com. You can't go wrong! Check it out and get some goose pimples.

Storm of the Century. © 1999
An unspeakable evil has arrived

Synopsis: The devil (Colm Feore) has come to the small town of Little Tall Island, Maine during the heaviest snow storm in the last 100 years. He brings with him the darkest secrets of all the townspeople and uses his knowledge to control and drive some of them to suicide and murder.
Comments: Yeah yeah, I know. Stephen King sold his soul when he started remaking all his movies via made-for-TV vehicles (Carrie, The Shining, Salem's Lot, etc.). However, before he completely sold-out, this (along with Rose Red) was one of the few semi-recent mini series of his that I actually liked. It's a lot of fun and looks great. It also doesn't hurt that it has a great cast. Plus, it doesn't hurt that I think Colm Feore looks babelicious (my humble opinion) as the villian. I'd give him some kisses.

3 Comments:

Blogger M said...

You're so right about Jennifer 8, it's like John Malkovich was born to play that part, and I love that movie too.

I saw Storm of the Century, and it still bugs me the way people in that town just agreed to negotiate with that devil, and how they rationalized their choices...

Monday, January 17, 2005 3:03:00 AM  
Blogger Technicolour Nightmare said...

Oddly I too have only seen Jennifer 8 and Storm of the Century on your list (though I now intend on watching the others). Nice list.

Tuesday, January 18, 2005 12:33:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Gatochy-
Hurray! Someone else besides me loves Jennifer 8. And you are so right about John Malkovich being born to play that character. Man! I wanted to punch him in his runny nose!

I also know what you mean about the townspeople in Storm of The Century. It reminded me a lot of Needless Things, which was a better book than a movie, if you ask me.

Technicolour Nightmare-
I'm so happy that you're going to look for the others to watch! I often wonder if anyone ever takes me advice on any of this stuff. I'm glad you liked my list. Thanks!

Thanks for stopping by! :)

Friday, January 21, 2005 8:17:00 AM  

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.