Thursday, December 16, 2004

My Holiday Film Favorites: Part 1 of 2

Everyone has a few perennial film favorites when it comes to the holidays. I, on the other hand, have more than a few. I've narrowed down the list to a mere 15, which I will be posting in a 2-part blog entry.

There's something for just about every taste: Comedy, horror, animation, drama, romance. All, with a distinctive holiday flair. Some traditional. Some not-so-traditional. All good. Accompanying each title and its' brief synopsis, I've also included what format(s) the movie is available in (if any). If you see the abbreviation 'OOP' this means that the film is currently 'Out Of Print' and is therefore not widely available to buy. I hope you enjoy the list and possibly even discover a new favorite.

Bell, Book and Candle. © 1958

A modern-day witch likes her neighbor but despises his fiancee, so on Christmas Eve, she enchants him to love her instead... only to fall in love with him for real. VHS/DVD

Black Christmas. © 1974

A sorority house is terrorized by a stranger who makes frightening phone calls and then murders the sorority sisters during Christmas break. VHS/DVD

A Christmas Story. © 1983

Ralphie has to convince his parents, teachers, and Santa that a Red Ryder BB gun really is the perfect gift for the 1940's. VHS/DVD

Christmas Vacation. © 1989

The Griswold family's plans for a big family Christmas predictably turn into a big disaster. VHS/DVD

Desk Set. © 1957

Two extremely strong personalities clash over the computerization of a TV network's research department during the holidays. VHS/DVD

Here Comes Mr. Jordan. © 1941

Boxer Joe Pendleton dies 50 years too soon due to a heavenly mistake, and is given a new life as a millionaire playboy. OOP, but not impossible to find used on VHS

Holiday. © 1938

Free-thinking Johnny Case finds himself betrothed to a millionaire's daughter, but ends up falling in love with her eccentric sister Linda. Instead of settling down to the family's big business, he rebels, wishing instead to spend the early years of his life on "holiday."

OOP, but not impossible to find used on VHS

*Click here for a great desktop from the movie Bell, Book and Candle!

3 Comments:

Blogger M said...

Oh, how I love "Desk Set"! :)

Thursday, December 16, 2004 1:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What? No "It's a Wonderful Life?"!!!


www.richhappens.com

Friday, December 17, 2004 10:55:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Gatochy-
Oh man, me too! From the Mondrian-inspired opening credits to the Christmas proposal at the end, it's wonderful. It never ceases to make me happy. And Joan Blondell is just great!

CL-
I totally agree with you about A Christmas Story! 100%!

Even though I've seen the movie every year since it came out in theaters back in 1989, Christmas Vacation still makes me laugh. Reading your quote made me laugh out loud. I die laughing every time I hear him say "...sack of monkey shit..." LMAO!

Anonymous-
Eh... I like and own It's A Wonderful Life, and even though it's a Christmas staple, it's never been one of my favorite holiday movies. I love particular scenes and, of course, James Stewart, but overall it doesn't make my 'favorites' list.

Of course there are those shows that are just givens, too: How The Grinch Stole Christmas (the orig. not that turdtacular Jim Carrey version), the Rankin-Bass claymation cartoons, A Christmas Carol, etc.

Thanks for stoppin' by! :)

Tuesday, December 21, 2004 12:32:00 PM  

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.