Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Do You Smell What I Smell?

Genuine has blogged in the past about how his household goes through toilet paper by the case... or so it seems. Well, around here, I have a bad habit of not being able to toss products that still have a little bit of usable product left in them. I usually end up pouring like products together, so as to cut down on the clutter.
The reason I am writing this blog entry today is to share with you how I "recycle" those almost-empty sticks of deodorant. I have found it to be a tremendously helpful little project. I normally use Mennen/Speed Stick or Old Spice brand stick deodorant. Over time I have about 2 or 3 of these taking up space in the cabinet, but there is so little deodorant left in them that they're no longer practical. Here's what I do with them:

Take one of the nearly-empty deodorant containers and roll the deodorant down as low as it will go. Now collect those 2-3 nearly-empty deodorant containers and place them in your microwave (I set mine on a paper towel, in case there's leakage, once they get heated) for 10-15 SECONDS (microwave ovens will vary, so experiment with yours first). Take them out and pour them, one at a time, into the deodorant container that you previously rolled down. When the container is as full as you's like, place the lid back on it and place it in the freezer for a few minutes. Remove and voila, you've got a new stick of deodorant! Neat, huh? I do this all the time and it's saved me a trip to the grocery store, and it really works!

*The only stick-style deodorants that aren't compatible with this project is the white deodorants like Arm & Hammer and/or those gel deodorants. You know, that kind that when you roll it up, it comes out through the little holes like Playdoh. Stick with the blue, green, brown deodorants. The colors. Also, be sure you don't put the Mennen/Speed Stick with the metallic-looking wrapper in the microwave. I learned that last night. It was only in there 1/2 a second before I heard the snap crackle pop. I opted to heat the Old Spice containers instead and use the Mennen/Speed Stick container as my receptacle.

7 Comments:

Blogger {illyria} said...

hehe. brilliant, kirk!

Tuesday, December 14, 2004 2:28:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's genius. I gotta try that.

Marvo

Tuesday, December 14, 2004 1:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i never would have thought of that.

golly, i could even mix them and get the effectivness of mitchum with the time released properties of degree.

suddenly christmas just got a lot easier to shop for.

jesse
http://www.ipsoblogo.com

Tuesday, December 14, 2004 6:06:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's brilliant. Why didn't I think of that???
I use 'male' deodorant anyway, instead of 'girly' deodrant because it's cheaper. And now I can recycle the stubs. I always hated throwing away the stubs when I could see there was still something in there.
Hey! this might work with lip gloss, too!
Thank you!

Tuesday, December 14, 2004 11:36:00 PM  
Blogger Rohit said...

I gotta try this!

Nice blog... the font seems a bit small though.

Wednesday, December 15, 2004 10:05:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's quite a household tip Martha!

daniel@danielphillip.com

Wednesday, December 15, 2004 4:57:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

transience-
Thanks! I'm so pleased that this was something new to so many people!

Marvo-
Thanks! Good luck!

jesse-
And if you wanna get really creative, you can use different colors and let them solidify in between hardening times, for a stripey effect. Lol!

Shells-
Hooray! I'm glad this was something new for you. And speaking of lip gloss, one of my friends said she does the same thing with her Chapstick tubes. She lives in a cold climate, so she goes through lip balm like crazy.

I wanna try it with Carmex, since I hate having to dip my fingers in it. I bet I could melt it and pour it into an empty Chapstick container!

Rohit-
Thanks! It really does work!

Sorry the text appears small for you. I don't know, but it may vary with different browsers. I know that in Netscape you can press the "Apple/butterfly" key and "+" key at the same time and the text will enlarge (subsequently pressing "-" makes the text smaller). But then I use Mac, so computers may vary as well.

Thanks for stoppin' by!

daniel-
Martha's the queen of OCD. I'm just a lowly apprentice. ;)

Thursday, December 16, 2004 3:48:00 AM  

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.