Saturday, October 30, 2004

Read Any Good Horror Movies Lately?

I collect horror movie tie-in paperbacks and since Halloween is drawing nearer and nearer, I've decided to share with you, nine of my favorites. Of course, I have others; The Fog, The Boogens, Dead & Buried, Friday The 13th Part III, etc., but these are my favorite for various reasons. (From left to right)

Patrick by Keith Hetherington © 1980
Comments: Creepy thriller I couldn't put down. Too bad the movie version wasn't as captivating.
The Howling by Gary Brandner © 1977
Comments: The slasher that started them all. One of the sole reasons why werewolves creep me out to this day. One of my favorite werewolf movies. In the same league as The Boy Who Cried Werewolf and An American Werewolf In London. Did I mention werewolves creep me out?
Final Exam by Geoffrey Meyer © 1981
Comments: One of my earliest memories of a book my mother refused to let me buy. I spent years looking for it, just for that reason.
Black Christmas by Lee Hays © 1976
Comments: One of my all-time favorite horror movies. Never ceases to creep me out! An extremely hard book to find.
Dracula's Daughter by Carl Dreadstone © 1977
Comments: Controversial at the time, because of its' lesbian undertones, this is one of my favorite Universal horror movie sequels. A beautiful film with a great storyline.
Fade To Black by Ron Renauld © 1980
Comments: LOVE the concept of this book: The main character, Eric Binford, goes on a killing spree, dressed a his favorite characters from movies: Dracula, The Mummy, Hopalong Cassidy...
Halloween by Curtis Richards © 1979
Comments: This is the original one that I had when I was growing up. I could kick myself for supposedly "making the knife even scarier" by coloring the tip with a red pen! Aaaiiggghh!
Friday The 13th Part II by Simon Hawke © 1988
Comments: Hands down, my favorite of the F13 sequels. I've yet to see a slasher top this creative brutality. Besides, I SO had a crush on "Mark", the guy in the wheelchair. ROWR!
Dressed To Kill by Brian De Palma and Campbell Black © 1980
Comments: My favorite Brian De Palma movie next to Carrie. SUCH a great suspense movie. What a great score. Second creepiest thing about the movie? The close-up of Angie Dickinson's stunt-pussy. ::shiver::

1 Comments:

Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Hi Spork!

I hear ya! I live about a mile from not one, but TWO used book stores and I love it! Anytime I don't have much money but feel compelled to shop, I can always drop in on one of these places and pick up a good read for under $3. Books are great that way.

Thanks for stoppin by!

-Kirk :)

Tuesday, November 02, 2004 5:24:00 AM  

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.