Thursday, October 28, 2004

Morrissey

Today, Morrissey will be in concert in Fort Worth, Texas at the Will Rodgers Coliseum. Sure, he may be getting older and perhaps a little bloated-looking. I don't care. I still luff him. I'm not much on concerts, mainly because of all the people you end up having to deal with, but it'd been fun to see him again, live. The last concert I saw him do was for his album Your Arsenal. I've been to very few concerts, by choice, but the ones I have been to have been:

George Michael: Faith
• The Cure: Disintegration
• Morrissey: Kill Uncle
• Morrissey: Your Arsenal
• U2: Zooropa


A friend offered to take me and buy our tickets but I wouldn't feel right having someone spend $50 on me (the same amount I'd bet he doesn't remember the concert to begin with. He's a busy guy.). I'm not too keen on people paying my way, anyway. It gives me what I call the "Little Match Girl Syndrome." Besides, I hate to go somewhere and not have money to spend on the fun souvenir stuff, like a program, buttons, stickers, etc. Forget the concert t-shirts, my big thing is the tour program. I dunno what it is about them, but they make me feel like I've really been somewhere, ya know? Years ago, I found 2 old tour programs at a Half Price Books in Dallas and snatched them up: Madonna: Like A Virgin and The Police: Synchronicity.

I'm sure by today's standards Morrissey would be considered "Goth," not unlike The Cure, but back when I was listening to them they were categorized under "Pop." Regardless of category, I still enjoy listening to both groups. And even though Morrissey isn't for everyone (which isn't always a bad thing), perhaps because of his often melancholy lyrics and/or singing style, I own all his CDs, with the exception of his latest one. You know how there are just some things that you KNOW you're gonna like even before you've seen/read/heard them? Morrissey is that way for me. Sure, he's done his fair share of not-so-spectacular albums *cough* Maladjusted *cough*, but that's okay.

One of the things I always enjoy about a Morrissey or even a Smiths CD, for that matter, are the covers. He always manages to come up with some of the best images, whether they be from films or otherwise. I also like that he has an affinity for boxers and James Dean, as do I. I wonder if he influenced my interest? Either way, I love his music, LOVE his music videos (if you can find a copy of Hulmerist, I definitely recommend it: It has the video for Ouija Board, Ouija Board, which his DVD, ¡Oye Esteban! doesn't) and, of course, love him.

Well, I guess that's it for now. I can hear thunder rumbling in the distance, so I'm sure it'll be raining anytime now. The perfect weather to watch some Morrissey videos. I think I'll watch the video for Ouija Board, Ouija Board or November Spawned A Monster.

*I will be posting multiple articles today. so be sure and check back!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember the George Michael "Faith" tour...he came to Sacramento, about two hours from where I lived. A big group of my friends went, but my parents told me I couldn't go because we were all too young (Um? 17 and 18?) and would probably go drink and do drugs and get into trouble. But, I wasn't that kind of kid. Sniff, sniff. I was a good girl! Damn, I'm glad to be an adult!

Thursday, October 28, 2004 1:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE Morrissey! I'm not quite sure what it is about him, but he's amazing.

If I hear November Spawned a Monster, or Suedehead, I'll be singing them for days, and days, and days...

I think his best work was probably Bona Drag. Then again, I'm not familiar with his newer stuff.

jen
Queerly Canadian

Thursday, October 28, 2004 3:12:00 PM  
Blogger E in Oz said...

...sigh....*flashbacks* I grew up listening to Morrisey, The Smiths, The Cure et al. Was definitely a goth chick back then, although you'd hardly tell now - except my penchant for all things black. ;-)
E

Thursday, October 28, 2004 6:52:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Stacy, geez, Louise, I totally remember it practically took an act of congress before I FINALLY got the 'okay' to go the concert, and I was a 'good boy.' I remember I went with 3 friends and had the best time. Somewhere around here I have a concert t-shirt from the show and some really bad, blurry pictures. Lol!

Thursday, October 28, 2004 11:51:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Cool Jen! I'm glad to see I'm not alone in my love for Morrissey. You should check out his CD: My Early Burglary Years. It's an enhanced CD and has the video for "Sunny," as well as some other multimedia computer files. Good stuff!

Thursday, October 28, 2004 11:56:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Kalliope72, I hear that. I was never quite brave enough to be totally Goth, but I did wear lots of black (still do) and thought I was the next "tortured artist." Lol!

Weird thing, I clicked on your name, which took me to your Profile (so far, nothing unusual), then when I clicked on My Web Page it took me here: http://www.glensstudio.com.au/

Is that correct or just a glitch? Just curious. Caught me offguard, heh.

BTW, speaking of "tortured artists", I'll be posting some of my AWFUL teen angst poetry later on today.

Friday, October 29, 2004 12:02:00 AM  
Blogger E in Oz said...

Yep, that's my site (www.glensstudio.com.au), well I built it, but it's my dad's site - his art.

My blog's at http://kalliope72.blogspot.com :-)

Friday, October 29, 2004 7:27:00 AM  

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.