Thursday, October 28, 2004

Griff's Hamburgers

Yesterday I had lunch at my favorite place to get a hamburger: Griff's Hamburgers. I have no idea how long Griff's has been around, but from the looks of their restaurants, I'd guess since the 60's, but I'm not sure. Griff's are usually located in seedier parts of town, along with the pawn shops, thrift stores and shooting ranges (there actually is a shooting range just down the street from the one I'm talking about). At least, that's been my experience. But, regardless of location, one thing is always consistent: Their food. They make THE best hamburgers and onion rings on the planet.

On a funny side note, from time to time, they have various "limited edition", if you will, food items. One, which turned out to be pretty damn good, actually, was "Chicken Fries." At first, I was like "WTF is a 'Chicken Fry?" As it turns out, they were simply long, thin breaded chicken strips. So, basically chicken strips. They came with ranch dressing for dipping. Mmmm!

Now for the one that even I wouldn't venture to try: Macaroni 'N Cheese Nuggets. Yes, you read correctly. I'm not sure if that was the actual name they had given them, but that's what they were. Think chicken nuggets, but instead of a breaded piece of chicken, it was a batter-dipped mass of macaroni 'n cheese! Lol! Too crazy! Is there no limit to what can be dipped in batter? If you didn't know what they were, you'd swear it was a chicken nugget. Anyway, I remember being so dumbfounded by the mere idea, that I swiped a table topper that was advertising them and scanned it. One of these days, when I find it, I will HAVE to post it here, otherwise you'll never believe me!

I like Griff's because they keep it simple (and SO affordable). You come in. You place your order, You get a number. Since there are no Griff's in the town where I live, I have to go to the edge of Fort Worth, in order to partake of their delicious food. What makes their hamburgers great (to me, anyway) is that they toast the bun, the meat is good and when they put onions on your hamburger, they are finely chopped. I've never been a big onion fan, but as of late, I can tolerate them in small quantities (pizza, salad, etc.) Onions MAKE a Griff's hamburger complete!

I also really love their logo and slogan "Quality Food. Speedy Service." Very retro. I took more pictures, but they weren't that great. One did come out, though, but I will be posting about it at a later date. It's of a family that came in (and subsequently left, because they had to wait in line too long; the place is always packed). They were proof that inbreeding is alive and kicking in the ol' U.S. of A. Yeesh! I'm talkin' one chromosome away from pinhead land. And, naturally, they felt compelled to multiply like rabbits (thus their litter of 5). But, we'll talk about that at a later date.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those Macaroni 'N Cheese Nuggets sound damn good!

Thursday, October 28, 2004 5:22:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Hey, who knows? They may be dynamite. I guess the novelty of the idea just caught me offguard. I like macaroni 'n cheese as much as the next person!

I remember being in LOVE with some things called "vegetable sticks" that they used to sell in the frozen food section of the local grocery store. They looked just like cheesesticks, but they had a medley of mixed vegetables inside, encased in a crispy batter. They were SO good. Of course, I can't find them anymore. Dang. :(

Friday, October 29, 2004 12:09:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Tagnardskrod-
True, true. Griff's is a great place to geta hamburger and their onion rings are outta this world. I just recommended them to some people I was standing in line with at the post office, who were wondering where to get a good hamburger.

I didn't realize they even had them in Colorado! Very cool. I just assumed it was a Texas thing.

Thanks for dropping in and commenting! I appreciate it! :)

Thursday, May 12, 2005 8:12:00 PM  

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.