Monday, August 16, 2004

Who's here, you're here, I'm here...

Last night I watched one of my favorite suspense thrillers on the Starz Mystery Channel: 1980's Cruising. The film stars Al Pacino and Paul Sorvino and was directed by William Friedkin, best known for his film The Exorcist. The movie is based on the book by Gerald Walker and is about a series of grisly murders taking place in New York's underground gay scene of leather bars and S&M. Pacino is assigned to go undercover, as a leatherman in the gay community, to find the killer.

I was only in 3rd grade when the movie was initially released, but from what I've read, it caused quite a stir amongst the gay community at the time. From what I can deduce, they were upset by both the way homosexuals/their "lifestyle" was portrayed in the film, as well as the fact that the killer was targeting homosexuals.
Initially, the way that gay characters were portrayed in films did irk me, simply because I knew I didn't fit that mold and neither did the majority of gay people I knew. But realistically, I realized that it's just easier for Hollywood and the majority of straight people to have something simple, in regard to minority stereotypes, that they can identify immediately upon sight. i.e. The flamboyant man with the lisp: gay, the thrifty, big-nosed character: Jew, the guy with tape on the bridge of his glasses and pocket protector: nerd, etc. Once I came to terms with the fact that that's how it works, I no longer found it offensive. In fact, some of my favorite movies are ones that more sensitive people may find and have found "offensive." For instance, something similar happened 12 years later, when Basic Instinct was released. Again, the gay community was upset. What? There are never supposed to be any killers/murderers who happen to be gay? I just don't get that worked up over movies. I mean, it is a work of fiction, meant to entertain us. Geez people, relax, and enjoy the film for what it is. I think the problem lies in the fact that some gay people are disillusioned enough to think that homosexuality is going to be accepted by the populous at some point in the future. Trust me, it's not, let's be realistic about it. For every person out there who is okay with it, there's some parent out there raising their kid to hate, just like Mommy & Daddy do. It's a vicious cycle. Some people just don't have the mental capacity to think outside their own existance of beliefs.
Back to Cruising. I own the VHS and wish the DVD would get a release, but I'm not holding my breath. I love the movie because I find it genuinely creepy, bleak and on some levels, realistic. It's one of those movies that kept me stressed out: You know, that feeling during a scene, when say, someone is rummaging through the killer's belongings while they are out and the person whom they belong to could return at any moment. THAT kind of stress. Aaaiigggh! That seriously stresses me out, but I love it. Heh. I dunno why. Adrenaline, I suppose.

In addition to the suspense, I also liked the music, the performances and the unintentional slices of humor. Though Cruising stars Al Pacino, I consider it a sort of cult/underground film, since most people aren't familiar with it or have seen it. I have some straight male friends who admit to liking the film. However, if it didn't have names attached to it, like William Friedkin, Al Pacino, Paul Sorvino or even Joe Spinell, I guarantee you they wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole (no pun intended). Most straight men probably keep repeating to themselves: The Godfather. Scarface. The Godfather. Scarface. Some male heroes can do no wrong in the machismo psyche. Just read some of the reviews on IMDB.com, if there's any doubt in your mind that the gay factor was a big "ick" factor for the majority of Cruising's audience. So much for progress.

One thing that drives me crazy about the film and has been argued through various articles, is how the film/characters are interpreted. I've read that 40 minutes of footage was left on the cutting room floor, so maybe some of my answers lie in those 40 minutes. Until a director's cut is released (if ever), we may never know. I also intend to track down the book at a nearby used bookstore and read it. Maybe it can give me more insight into the characters and their motives. *If you haven't seen the film and want to uphold the suspense, don't read any further right now. There are a few possible spoilers ahead. Okay, here's some things that leave me scratching my head:

• Near the beginning, after Pacino is given his assignment and is in bed with his wife, they are talking and at one point he says "There are lots of things about me you don't know." Then the camera lingers on his face and sinister music plays. What's THAT supposed to mean? Is he gay? Is he the killer? What?

• Was Joe Spinell's character really a cop? The transvestites he and his fellow police officer/partner solicit for sex, seem to think he is (i.e. the uniforms/patrol car), but the police chief at the precinct they get taken to claims that there are a lot of people out there lately passing themselves off as cops. Spinell was driving a cop car, in a cop's uniform, so I assume he is, but then he's in the leather bar later on, dressed in civilian/leather clothing, cruising Pacino. What's THAT about?

• And last, but not least, the ending has me asking even more questions. The guy who lives in the apt. next door, whom Pacino and the victim's boyfriend fought over him, the night before, is found murdered, after the "killer" is taken into custody. Who killed him? Was it Pacino or his jealous lover? At the end, why is Pacino all weirded-out, staring into the mirror after shaving? Did something inside him snap, while working on the case? Is he the killer?

*The title of this blog is a reference to the creepy little song the killer sings before he kills his victim.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.