Friday, July 23, 2004

TGIF

Ms. Fossil called on Wednesday to ask me again when I thought the tree trimming guy would be coming. I told her again that it's still 3 weeks, just like I told her 2 weeks ago. She then goes off on a tangent about how her yard man can't park in her driveway because his truck with the attached trailer full of yard implements is too long and how he has to carry everything from two houses down the street. ? I have no idea what this has to do with me, but then I've never been much of a visionary. She goes on to tell me how she has asthma, and that it's probably due to the hazy weather, undoubtedly caused by the forest fires raging in California. I manage to balance my checkbook, rewind a video that I rented and change clothes, all while she's telling me all this. Note to self: Must resist urge to kill.

I went to get a haircut, because it was "Wacky Wednesday" at the place I get my hair cut. By the way, it's $2 off on Wacky Wednesday, so then I can afford to give whoever cuts my hair, a tip. Otherwise, it's nearly $15! Insane. This time around I get a Korean woman, whom I've noticed isn't much for small talk, since I had to wait until she was finished cutting some guy's hair who was going on and on about how he was "never much one for fair food" but "enjoyed the Texas Star" (fyi the Texas Star is a HUGE ferris wheel, which is the centerpiece of the Texas State Fairair...next to Big Tex). She speaks really bad English, and it's my guess (which is confirmed later) that her grasp of understanding the English language is probably not up to par, either. Now for the pros and cons. Pro: She gave me a really good haircut. Con: She had some major B.O. Pro: I caught a few Z's while she was trimming my hair (I couldn't help it. Something about the combination of the vibration of the clippers and the sound of the thinning shears, makes me drift right off). Con: there was still some old snips of gray hair from someone's previous haircut, on the plastic bib thing tied around my neck. I dunno what it is about gray hair that creeps me out, but it does. I think it goes all the way back to when I moved into my first apartment and was cleaning out the cabinet underneath the sink, I found clumps of gray hair along the edge of where the carpet met the cabinet. Gross. Well, at least she was better than the last person who cut my hair. Some fat black chick who kept using her stomach to turn the chair around and apparently didn't realize (or care) that cutting hair where it falls onto your face the whole time, is not a good technique.

The grocery store I got to has some cutie guy checkers who also bag groceries. One's name is "Luke" (very soap opera) and is a "babe" (both figuratively and literally) and then there's "Tommy" who I always manage to catch taking a break by the Coke machines outside. I think they're cute, but they have the kind of hair that my friend Derik hates. Lol! Kinda like my dad and "those big-ass pants" that never seem to go outta style. I guess every generation has their teen peeves. Annnnnyway... Tommy's also cute, but not so much babe-worthy, but cute just the same (I think it's the tan and the big nose, but hey, that't me). Of course, he's also 11 years old (okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a little, but he might as well be). So, Tommy was scanning my groceries and notices I bought a container of popcorn chicken from the deli, and gets all excited, telling me how good they are. I say "Yeah, they really are" and he goes on to say how those and some Mountain Dew make the perfect lunch and that he's going to go get some in a few minutes. I share my top-secret knowledge that Mountain Dew and Hawaiian Punch make a great flavor combo, he says how he's never tried that but will have to now and then I leave. Bonding accomplished.

Went to the video store and returned Adam & Evil and checked out Chopping Mall, Calendar Girls, and Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen. Those reviews coming up later, once I've watched them all. And while we're on the subject of entertainment, I also bought 3 CDs and 3 DVDs. More about those later. So, I go to rent my movies and while the guy is checking out my movies, some customer comes in and he says "Hi," she looks his way, says nothing and keeps on truckin'. He's like "Um, okaaaay. Whatever" and looks at me. Knowing what it's like to work with the public, I've totally been there before. I say "It's amazing how many mute people there are in the world, huh?" and he laughs and says no kidding. Rapport established. So the guy is looking at the cover of Chopping Mall and says something about it looking interesting. I tell him that "yeah, it's a fun movie" and that it's coming to DVD soon, but I couldn't wait to watch it. He's looking at the back of the box and then it dawns on him what it's about and he goes bananas. He's all "Oh my god, I've been wanting to see this movie for so long! This is the one where the robot security guards go crazy and kill everybody in the mall." I'm like "Yeaaah. Good times." He's all "Chopping Mall! Oh my god, I didn't know that was the name, I can't believe we have that. I haven't seen that since like 1989." I say "Yep. It's an old one." (hey! I graduated in 1989!) and then start heading for the door, all the while he's still freaking out about it. Bonding session 2 accomplished.

And the cherry on the cake, you may ask? I come home from running all these errands and realize I neglected to lock the front door! Brilliant, Kirk, just brilliant. So then I spend the rest of the night playing scenes in my head, from that creepy made-for-TV-movie Hider In The House, starring Gary Busey. Ew, Gary Busey...::shiver:: creepy.

P.s. Let me preface this by saying that I live in a neighborhood, near a busy road. From time to time, there will be someone walking down the street during the day or night, for whatever reason (i.e. school, work, etc.)

For some unknown (and annoying) reason, it seems like our neighborhood has an unusual amount of power surges. This in turn, causes the breaker to my A/C to flip off sometimes, calling for me to go outside, to the side of the house, and flip it back on (see? I told you it was annoying). Well, last night it happened again, 'cause I woke up feeling muggy and gross. So, around midnight, I go open the front door, flashlight in hand, to go outside and flip the switch. At the same time, some random guy happens to be walking by across the street, in front of my house. Well, my front door has an awful squeaky creak to it, which I, personally like for two reasons: A) It sounds great at Halloween and B) I like to think that I have a built-in early warning system, should a prowler break in to kill me in my sleep (yes, I'm a little paranoid). So anyway, I swing the front door open and some random guy walking on the sidewalk across the street jumps outta his hide, spins towards me and looks over, startled. I act like I don't notice, but on the inside, I am cracking up. I'm usually the one who's leery of people walking along the street at night and here I am making him skittish. Lol! Just thought I would share that with you, because I thought it was funny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.