Sunday, July 18, 2004

The Goonies 'R' Good Enough!

The first time I saw it, was the summer of 1985, while on vacation with my parents. We saw it at a drive-in theater in Wisconsin. I remember thinking it was the best thing ever. I remember reading the paperback and anything else 'Goonies' I could get my hands on. I also remember staying up late to watch Friday Night Videos (network television's answer to MTV), to see the "debut" of the Cyndi Lauper music video!

Last night I went to the midnight movie at the Inwood Theater and saw The Goonies on the big screen, for the first time in 19 years! The Goonies has it all: Great cast, comedy, adventure, you name it! I was mesmerized from beginning to end, and tonight was no exception. Sure, I own the DVD, but nothing compares to seeing it on the big screen with an appreciative audience.

The theater I went to see the movie at, is a Landmark theater, in more ways than one. It's been around for 57 years and is one of the sole survivors of the 1940s movie palaces. the Inwood Theater has that incredible nostalgic soul, that today's theaters lack. You get a distinct sense of participating in a piece of cinematic history, just by being in its' presence. You know, the huge marquee with lights around it, the foyer ceiling covered in lights, and the "old school" tubular ticket booth. SUCH great atmosphere. As you enter the small lobby, the first thing your eyes are drawn to is the incredible domed ceiling, which has a mural painted on it. There's is a huge red-carpeted staircase, off to the right and on the left is a cafe/coffee shop, marked off by glass bricks. There are two small theaters upstairs (I got nauseous in one of them while seeing The Blair Witch Project). Straight ahead is the small concession stand, which I am pleased to say offers tea. I know it sounds kinda square, but I prefer tea to soda, when I go to the movies, and most theaters don't offer it. After the concession stand, there are two sets of double doors which go into the foyer of the main theater, which is HUGE and originally seated 1,100 people! There is even a little stage at the base of the movie screen. Sigh. Breathtaking.

I got to the theater about 20 minutes early and found a great parking space. On the way to the theater I walked past a couple (her sitting on a bench, him kneeling on the ground in front of her) who were apparently having an argument. She looked like she was about to cry (mad) and he was desperately trying to talk his way outta whatever it was. The drama. The drama. Let's hope they get married and make it official. So, I get in line behind the Aqua Teen Younger Force and got my ticket. Then to the small bathroom (this is my movie ritual: Ticket, bathroom, concession stand, theater), which is old and small and has a cloth shower curtain separating the 1 toilet from the 2 urinals & sink. After getting to hear how "this bathroom sucks," (Gen Y, you know I love em'!) I washed my hands (you wouldn't believe how many guys don't) and went to get provisions and find a seat.

I was surprised how many teens there were. I was expecting a more mature crowd, like when I went to go see Fast Times At Ridgemont High. Before the show begins, a theater employee comes out and there's a contest to win the DVD version of whatever movie is that night's main attraction. However, this time, in addition to the DVD giveaway, there was also a Truffle Shuffle contest! LMAO! He asked for volunteers and about 7 vibrant, fresh-faced teens went up (2 girls, the rest guys). The guy prefaced the contest by first making sure everyone knew what the Truffle Shuffle was. One didn't. My first reaction is "beat it, dillhole," but I kept that to myself. So the guy asks for one of them to demonstrate it to him. This one guy volunteers and kicks ass! Then the contest starts and the nonexistent (ech...whatever) teen bellies are a shakin'! When they are done, the guy holds his hand over each person's head and the one who receives the most applause wins. The one I wanted to win, and clapped for, won (the guy who demonstrated the Truffle Shuffle for the benefit of IdiotBoy). He was the only one who had remotely any tummy and his Truffle Shuffle rendition rocked da hizouse! The prize: a pint of Rocky Road ice cream (with spoon)!! The runner-up (IdiotBoy, much to my chagrin) also got a pint. I didn't win the DVD, but some jailbait in a tubetop won it, and, get this, she doesn't even own a fuckin' DVD player. Whatever.

The movie starts and everyone claps once the skull and crossbones appear on the screen and we're off! Now, I must confide something. I LOVED the entire cast (yes, even Corey Feldman, whom I normally despise), but my favorite Goonie was Martha Plimpton's character ('Stef') and my first cinematic crush: Josh Brolin ('Brand'). God, I remember thinking he was the hottest thing since Lou Ferrigno as The Incredible Hulk. ROWR ROWR! Thus began my love-affair with Brand and The Goonies. Josh is still a hottie (when he opts to bathe, shave and brush his hair) and has been in some other favorite movies of mine. I just recently bought Thrashin', just for him. Definitely worth the price.

While on the subject of hotties, at the time I thought Sean Astin ('Mikey') was pretty insignificant. Wow! Who knew he would turn out to be such a babe? I could give two elf farts for those Lord of The Rings movies, but I think he's just too cute. Esp. when he has a beard. Rowr!

It was a lot of fun to be a part of something you know everyone loves. I also got a kick out of the scene where Sloth exclaims "Hey you guys!" just before he saves the day, 'cause the entire audience cheered and clapped. And during the scene where Mikey opens the hatch to the "rich stuff", you could have heard a pin drop. It was great! And naturally, there was plenty of clapping at the end, while The Goonies theme played in the background during the credits. A great audience experience, overall. Not one single cell phone ringing or dumbass in the bunch (with the exception of IdiotBoy, of course). Fun was had by all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.