Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Slow Jams

Yesterday, I was listening to the radio and a fuckin' "slow jam" came on! LMAO! I thought the popularity of the slow jam was something that died a dusty death, back in the mid-late 90's. And this was no classic slow jam, this was a NEW slow jam.

For those who may not be familiar with the slow jam's "style," I'll explain: A slow jam is one of those songs that has an urban mid-tempo feel to it, where the singer "talks/sings" all breathless, and/or faux sexy-like. The slow jam is supposed to be the song(s) you put on when you wanna be wit yo lady. (insert sarcastic fart sound here). Some slow jam artists might include: Johnny Gill, Klymaxx, Monifah and the Tevin Campbell.

It took some investigating ('cause I'm not down with the new slow jams), but apparently the new song I heard was by Usher and called Burn. Initially, it was kinda sexy (his voice), and reminded me a little of Marky Mark, the Brooklyn accent thing (always sexy, BTW), but then the lyrics kicked in and the breathless sexiness and I started to crack up. With lyrics like "Man, I don't know what I'm gonna do without my booo," (I initially thought he said "Don't know what I'm gonna do without my pooh"), can you blame me? This song epitomizes the new slow jam, especially when the singer starts talkin' real fast with lyrics like "Callin' her your name/Ladies tell me do you understand?/Now all my fellas do you feel my pain?/It's the way I feel/I know I made a mistake/Now it's too late." The cheesiness of it all makes me think of The Ladies Man character from Saturday Night Live. I wanna be bustin' out the vanilla-scented candles, some ice-cold Malt Duck, sprinkle some rose petals around the room, dim the lights and light some incense, bruh. If you happen to enjoy slow jams, then you're sure to enjoy these sites:

New Black Music.net
Soul-patrol Streaming Radio
Sirius Radio.com- Slow Jamz 52

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.