Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Recent DVD Purchases


Three's Company: Season 4 © 1979/1980
The Mr. Moto Movie Collection: Vol. 1 © 1937-1939
Comments: Wow, the new transfer process they did for these movies makes them look really amazing. So nice to have crisp, clean copies of my favorite Mr. Moto movies.
Astro Boy: Greatest Astro Adventures © 1963-1966
The Nun © 2005
Comments: The movie got a lot of flack from "reviewers" (read teens old enough to rent a DVD, but can't spell 'DVD') over at IMDB. However, I thought the movie had a great premise and good special effects. And, even though a lot of the cast members didn't actually speak English (they learned their lines in English and recited them verbatim), I thought they did a good job. Their performances and/or the special effects didn't deter from the movie, for me anyway, one bit. Loved the concept that the victims were being killed in the same fashion as the Catholic Saints of lore. Fun movie!
Pretty Persuasion © 2005
The Deathmaster © 1972
Saw II © 2005
Superboy: Season 1 © 1988/1989
Comments: Wow. I don't know what to say about this one. You know how much I was looking forward to buying this boxset because the actor who played Superboy (John Newton) is so hot...plus the fact that it was an 8 0's TV show and you usually can't go wrong with that...usually. OMG, this show is sooooooooooooooooo bad. And not just in production 'values.' The acting is some of the worst, and trust me, I've seen some BAD acting. When the guy who plays Lex Luthor (Scott Wells) stepped onto the scene and said his lines, I, and I'm being totally serious here, thought maybe his over-the-top emotionless, stilted delivery of his lines would later tie into the fact that he was a robot or cyborg or something. But NO! he's just that BAD! OMG, that was really his 'acting!' Wow. SO bad. At least Newton looks good in his costume. That's about the best thing I can say about this movie. Cheap cheap CHEAP!
Jackass boxset © 2000-2002
The Pacifier © 2005
Comments: I know, I know. I too thought "What a cineturd!" when I initially saw the trailer for this movie. I thought "Oh dear Lord, Vin is gonna try to show us that he's 'versatile' and start doing more than just action movies." Well, when I found this used DVD at a pawn shop (FULLSCREEN, no less! And you know how I hate fullscreen) for $3, I thought "What the heck! Vin's hotness will override any lameness." Not so much. I'm keeping it for Vin, but that's about it. Soooo lame. I hope he's done experimenting and sticks to what he does best: action movies. There's no shame in that...unlike having this movie on your resume. And don't even get me started on that HORRIBLE-looking movie he did called Find Me Guilty. God, that looks stinky.
Camp Slaughter © 2005
She's the Man © 2006
The Ellen Show: The Complete Series © 2001-2002
Comments: I LOVED this show. I think I may have even liked it a little more than her first TV series, Ellen (AKA These Friends of Mine). I wish this show had lasted longer, but I'm so happy that they released them to DVD. Now I can record over all my VHS copies. Funny, funny show. I still can't figure out why I love her in anything BUT her talk show. Her talk show just irks me for some reason. I dunno why. Can't stand it.
2046 © 2004
Michael Grossi: Rollin' on 22's © 2006
Superman and the Mole Men © 1951
Comments: My friend Nathan strikes again! Nathan dropped in last week and dropped off the latest batch of DVD-Rs he made for me. He's so nice. This is one of the DVD-Rs he made for me. Gotta love the original Superman, George Reeves! A fun movie if you can find it, though I've read that it was broken up into a 2-parter for the television series, which is now available on DVD.
Meatballs Part II © 1984
Comments: Another DVD-R courtesy of Nathan. I remember initially not enjoying this movie because so many elements of the original weren't there (mainly the cast). However, this one grew on me over time and I love that there are so many familiar faces. Having rewatched it recently, I was a little disturbed that I found John Mengatti "hot," considering he was playing a teen...until I looked him up on IMDB and found out that he was actually THIRTY when he filmed the movie. LOL! I can now ogle him with a clear conscience.
Killer Party © 1986
Comments: Yep, another DVD-R compliments of Nathan. Though he didn't care for this slasher with a possession twist, I dug it. I thought it was a lot of fun and enjoyed various elements. Fun, if you can find it.
London © 2005
Hardware © 1990
Comments: A totally underrated early 90's sci-fi thriller starring hunky Dylan McDermott. Though this is not on DVD, I bought this Unrated DVD-R on eBay.
Hit the Deck © 1955
Comments: Nathan burned this to DVD-R for me from my VHS copy. With all the crap out on DVD, I can't figure out why more classics like this one haven't managed to make it to DVD yet. Though I'm not big on musicals, I do like this one, even though it does co-star Debbie Reynolds. God, she gets on my last nerve. I can't stand her peppy ass.
Night of the Demon © 1980
Comments: If you like creepy Bigfoot movies, then you have GOT to get this DVD. The DVD is super-cheap and uncut. Creepy, creepy, creepy. Also, it has a large bodycount and plenty of the red stuff if you know what I mean. Where else are you going to see a biker get his dong relocated while taking a piss in the woods? That scene is worth the price alone! Wow. Like nothing you've seen before or will ever see again. *The original cover is terrible, so I used the artwork from the film poster. The one you want to get, looks like this.
Man-Thing © 2005
Comments: The trailer for this looked so good and the whole Marvel comics tie-in helped, so I bought the movie (cheap) previously-viewed at Hollywood Video. The movie started out GREAT, unfortunately, the best part of the movie was the first 15 minutes. After that, it was all downhill from there. Soooo disappointing. You wait through literally 75% of the movie before you actually SEE Man-Thing, then when you do, he's a big CGI-laden bonsai tree on Steroids. Very disappointed. This had such potential. *The second Man-Thing image, next to the cover of the actual DVD, is what the REAL Man-Thing looked like (and should have looked like in the movie!) in the comic book.
Hong Kong Phooey: The Complete Series © 1975-1975
Magic © 1978
Comments: Though I already owned this movie on Hong Kong 'import' DVD (read DVD-R), it was the fullscreen version and had zero extras. I'm SO glad that I bought this newly-released version because it has so many great extras and is offered in Widescreen. Definitely worth it!
Tupperware! © 2004
Comments: I first saw this documentary on PBS. It's such a fascinating and illuminating look into the woman behind Tupperware Though it might seem like a silly premise, it's definitely worth a look or even adding to your NetFlix queue. Its' premise is in the works to be made into a feature film.
I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer © 2006
Comments: Wow. What a disappointment. I'd been waiting for this one to be released for what seemed like forever, then when it finally did, it sooooo didn't deliver. The movie is basically a remake of the original with the same character archetypes, not to mention that the movie is nearly halfway over before you even see The Fisherman and/or a murder takes place. LAME. And don't even get me started on the cornball 'twist.' Let's just say the franchise now has unlimited sequel potential a la Friday the 13th, Halloween, Hellraiser, etc.

2 Comments:

Blogger Fizzgig said...

I wondered how I'll always know what you did last summer would work...how can they always know what they did, when it's different people? Good to know it wasn't great before I got it for my collection!

Thursday, September 07, 2006 10:39:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Mon-
Oh man, save yourself some money. I wish I had. I, like an idiot, ran right out and paid FULL PRICE for it. Oy vey. That's what I get for not renting it first. ACK!

Terri-
It's so cute! I think it was around $8. I forget how many episodes there are, but there are quite a few AND it is WAY cheaper than the boxet...which I don't think I could sit through, even though I love me some Astroboy. Let's just say a little goes a long way. :)

Friday, September 08, 2006 12:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.