Monday, April 03, 2006

Shark Movies


I periodically get on kicks where I like to watch movies with similar themes: Camp movies (Meatballs, Friday the 13th, Sleepaway Camp, Little Darlings, etc.), Faye Dunaway movies (Supergirl, The Eyes of Laura Mars, etc.) and so on. Lately, with Spring and Summer approaching, I've been jonesing for some killer shark movies. Of course, the one that started it all, Jaws is a given, but I've also included some of the posters for other killer shark movies you may or may not have heard of. I remember seeing Great White in the theater shortly before the folks at Universal had it strongarmed out of the theaters for being too similar to Spielberg's film, and passing itself off as its sequel.

Fun Jaws/Shark Facts:

Jaws was originally going to be directed by Alfred Hitchcock (with Charlton Heston as Police Chief Brody)
• To make the real sharks look bigger a midget diver was hired for Hooper's cage sequence.
• The mechanical sharks were named 'Bruce' after Spielberg's lawyer Bruce Ramer.
• The shark's final death cry is sampled from 'The Creature from the Black Lagoon' and was also used as the death cry of the truck in Spielberg's earlier movie 'Duel'.
• At the height of seventies 'Sharkmania' ice cream stands started selling flavours such as 'Jawberry', 'Finilla' and 'Sharklate'.

Megalodon: The largest shark to ever lurk the depths of out oceans: 220,000 lbs. and capable of growing over an estimated 70 feet long. Some reconstructed jaws of megalodon measure 10ft. by 11ft. This is larger than a garage door.
Fossilized Megalodon Teeth
Shark Attack: Blog Archives

3 Comments:

Blogger RagDoll said...

All movies I would NEVER see. I am scared of Great White Sharks. I quit learning to surf because of them. The Pacifica pier has THREE that visit so often they named them! NO THANKS.

Monday, April 03, 2006 12:49:00 PM  
Blogger RC said...

that's fun...you should end your shark movie spree with Finding Nemo.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 5:44:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Ragdoll-
I can't say that I blame you. Once I found out that sharks have been known to even attack in shallow water, I said "forget it."

Thsi all reminds me: I just read an article in an old issue of Young & Modern (YM: the magazine formerly known as Young Miss) about some stupid bitch who thought it was cute that she took surfing lessons, IN THE OCEAN, during her period. Yeah, apparently she's never heard about sharks honing in on the scent of blood. Retard!

Three Great Whites! I can just see one taking flight to give my dangling feet some love nibbles. No thanks! *shiver*

RC-
Oh yeah, how could I forget that movie! Gotta love Dori!

Thanks for commenting! :)

Wednesday, April 12, 2006 4:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.