Thursday, February 09, 2006

Valentine's Day

Just 6 more days until Valentine's Day!

I realize some people hate Valentine's Day, but I've always loved it. Believe it or not, I'm not one of those sadsacks who has to "be" with someone in order to enjoy the holiday. As much as I revel in bitching and complaining, I have to admit that the people who don't like something simply because they feel they have to be dating someone/in a relationship with someone to enjoy something, bugs the shit outta me (or as I refer to it as "The Jerry Maguire Syndrome"; 'You complete me.' Shyeah, whatever, Smacky). Just enjoy it for what it is. If you happen to be in a relationship, cool. If you're not, that's cool too.

Personally, I love the decorations, the cards, the candy (duh!). It's just one of those holidays that I associate with good memories. I don't know about you, but I lived to make the annual Valentine shoebox in grade school! I got such a kick out of that and all the corny old Valentines I always got! And of course, there's always the NECCO Conversation Hearts! M-m-m-m! The white ones are my favorite! (Make your own Conversation Heart and check out the ones I made last year!)

According to How Stuff Works, here's what's new with Valentines:

Apparently, gifts of chocolates and flowers haven't replaced carefully chosen cards on Valentine's Day. Since 1915, Hallmark*, the undisputed leader of the greeting card industry, has manufactured cards to be mailed in envelopes. Founder Joyce Hall started selling greeting postcards from two shoe boxes as early as 1910. The Norfolk, Nebraska, teenager with the big ideas built a Kansas City business and global empire. Today, Hallmark** makes a tremendously diverse range of cards in 30 languages and sells them in more than 100 countries.

Some people still make their own valentines. Most parents think these are the best kind.

The modern valentine card has become increasingly sophisticated, keeping pace with popular technological advances. For example, there are cards that let you record a romantic message, "scratch-and-sniff" cards and cards that play romantic music.

And of course, you can send e-mail valentines. Some sites even offer free personal use of their illustrations or cards. Other technology allows you to send a romantic videotape or fax with a personal valentine message. But choose your valentine carefully -- some people find fax and e-mail missives too impersonal and not private enough for this holiday of love. Sometimes the best ideas are the simplest!


* This link will take you to the new plush animals Hallmark is selling this year. Valentino is my favorite! I'm going to get him tomorrow. Too cute, and I don't see many stuffed animals these days that I think truly stand out.

** This link will show you the Michael Bublé CD Hallmark is selling with purchase. I just love his music. I realize he's the new Harry Connick Jr.-esque flavor du jour, but the classics never die.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Terri-
I couldn't agree more. I don't care how long Brach's has been around, there's still come things they just can't compete with. NECCO brand conversation hearts is one of them!

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who enjoys all the heart-shaped goodness of Valentine's Day. It's not a "cool" stance to take, but I'm a REBEL!!!

Klutzyjenn-
Hey there CandyPants! I haven't seen you in a long time! While you've been gettin' your groove on, I've been here pickin' my nose. I'm nothing is not consistent. ;)

Monday, February 20, 2006 7:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.