Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Welcome to Crazytown

As you know, I have a soft spot for ephemera. I thrive on it. I collect it. Well, a few years ago I was fortunate enough to purchase an old scrapbook at a flea market for a STEAL. It was loaded with hundreds of vintage greeting cards, family photos, certificates of grade school completion, baptisms, etc. The cards were (I deduce) for the children of the family. From birth announcements/congratulation cards to birthdays to every conceivable holiday, there are literally decades of cards.

Well, recently I felt like sitting and just leafing through it and taking it all in, and stumbled across something I'd overlooked the first time. It's a 1958 brochure and ticket stubs to Disneyland! It's absolutely INSANE how much it cost to get in then compared to now. Then: Children: $3. Adults: $4. Almost 50 Years Later: Children: $49. Adults: $59.



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh cool! I love stuff like that. I once found an old (1940s?) brochure for cruise trips in my basement. I'll have to check if it has prices or anything worth scanning.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 7:34:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Cheryl-
Thanks! Apparently we're the only ones. LOL! I'm one of those people who sometimes wishes he were born in another time...then I remember how many things I like that were created in the latter part of the 20th century and change my mind.

Cool, if you find the brochure and you deem it scan-worthy, I'd love to see it!

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)

Monday, February 13, 2006 12:34:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed your post on ephemera. Your examples perfectly illustrate how much things have changed and how much ephemera can help us understand those changes. I've dedicated an entire blog to the discussion of old paper. It seems there are a lot of people like us who have a soft spot for it.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 2:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.