Friday, February 03, 2006

Back by Popular Demand...

Since everyone seemed to love the terribly un-PC marketing of Chubbette last time, I thought I would share another one with you. This time it screams "Fat girls love cake!" Well, I'm here to tell you I love cake too, so nyah! (chomp!)

By the way, one of my readers asked what year these ads originally circulated. The answer: the early 1960's. Most of the ones I've come across have been dated 1962-1963. I tried finding some info about the company (i.e. when it was founded, how long it survived, etc.), but to no avail.

The scariest part: These are the nice, cute ads. The ones that came later pretty much showed a 'Before' and 'After' of the same "husky" gal, and to be honest, there was little if no real visual difference, unless you count the pained grimace in the "After" picture and/or the glint of humiliation in the young girl's eye. Sad. Even sadder: we're still making fat girls (and boys to an extent) feel like lepers, 20 years later. Viva le progrès!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.