Thursday, August 04, 2005

Starved

Tonight is the premiere of the FX channels' new TV show Starved. The synopsis: Four thirty-something friends who reside in Brooklyn are battling various eating disorders. Naturally, with such a "sensitive" subject matter (what isn't a sensitive subject matter anymore? Jesus Christ.), there are already those who are bemoaning the show. Every parent, friend and distant relative with any remote connection to the subject matter, is jumping on the sensitive wagon and sounding off with their tales of heartbreak, etc. (via online forums, IMDB, etc.) I don't know how many times I have to say it, but...If you don't like it, don't watch it. It really is that simple. Geez.

Personally, I'm interested in seeing the show because I LOVE the writer/director/main character, Eric Schaeffer. I fell in love with him when I first saw him in one of my favorite, underrated movies, If Lucy Fell (which he also wrote/directed/starred in). I also loved him in Fall and Wirey Spindell too (again, he wrote/directed/starred in these movies as well). Own 'em all on DVD.

So, check out the site, watch some of the clips and tune in tonight at 9PM (CST). *Check your local listings for time and channel.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Mrs. Ferguson-
Yes, actually I did! It was totally fun! I love how it's this group of totally fucked-up, dysfunctional people, yet we're (the people who interact with them) made to feel like we're the one with the problem! Lol! Of course, you realize that the leader of the "It's Not Okay!" group is my favorite part of the show. LMAO! ;)

Friday, August 05, 2005 11:39:00 AM  
Blogger Anita said...

I watched it and I didn't love it or hate it. I liked parts of it and other parts made me squirm. I am going to keep watching, of course. I love the leader of the group and I love their mantra "it's not okay"! I really strongly disliked the police officer character and everything he did. I didn't enjoy the blowjob scene much either. Weird 'cause I'm not a prude, I just felt bad when it happened. Maybe it struck too close to home or something. Other than that, it's kind of refreshing that something other than Fox news made me a little uncomfortable. It's a great topic, pretty good treatment, and not too bad execution. Altogether, I give it a B+ and I'll watch it next week.

The show after it, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, I only watched for about 3 minutes, thought it sucked and changed the channel. Did you happen to watch it?

Friday, August 05, 2005 5:22:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Ms. Q-
Well, I think I'm probably biased because I'm such a fan of Eric Schaeffer. I'm curious to see how much mileage they're going to be able to get out of such a seemingly-limited subject matter.

I know what you mean about the blowjob scene. It made me uncomfortable too, and I'm not sure why. I guess because I could see what a selfish asshole he was being and what his motives were.

And I whole-heartedly agree about your cop analysis. I SO don't like his character either. No redeeming qualities that I can see (or imagine). Just the typical asshole cop abusing his power. The scene where he vomits on the homeless guy, without remorse, really helped in turning me off his character. Not funny.

I didn't stick around to watch that Always Sunny in Philadelphia show. The funniest thing about the whole promo, to me, was the chick who asks the guy "Are you seriously hitting on me at an anti-abortion rally?" That cracked me up! Otherwise, it looked like Coyote Ugly: The TV Series. Feh.

Friday, August 05, 2005 11:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sort of hated the pilot, but loved the rest of the series...something about the underlying angst really hit me. I have the last three episodes TiVO'd and would love to get copies of the first four. Anyone? email me at nacharest at earthlink dot net.

Sunday, October 23, 2005 5:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.