Friday, July 29, 2005

A Darker Shade of Mommy

WARNING: The MP3 hyperlinks included in today's post are extremely disturbing. Listen at your own risk.

The other day, while responding to all the comments left on my Mommy Blog post, Cheeky Prof mentioned that she'd happened upon a Mommy Blog with an "entire link and page dedicated to her stillborn child." I responded with "That's healthy. Can you imagine what the people who actually read it are like? Funville." I also told her that I could top that (just like Teen Witch!), and I can.

A few weeks ago, I first heard about this cuckoo bird named Lil' Markie, on the Howard Stern radio show. Not much seems to be known about Lil' Markie, either because he doesn't want to be found or no one wants to admit they even knew who he was. All I've been able to find out about him is that he appears to have been a ventriloquist/puppeteer named Mark Fox, head of Mark Fox Family Ministries. Fox briefly had his own public-access kid's show in the late 60's/early 70's where he preached/sang his songs via his doll (thus the creepy voice).

The song he's become most infamous for is called Diary of an Unborn Child, which is a creepy parable from the fetus' POV, cataloguing its' developmental stages, leading up to it being aborted. If you listen to the track in it's entirety, which begins with a long-winded reciting of diary entries (as dictated by the fetus), it eventually does actually break into song. Here's the chorus, so that you can sing along:

Why did you kill me, mommy
When God made me special for you?
I really wanted to see you
And put my little arms around you.
Why did you kill me, mommy
Because I thought you really cared for me.
And I wonder what I would have grown up to be?
I guess I’ll never know, 'cause mommy, you killed me.


Ask anyone I know, and they'll confirm that I don't get creeped out too easily. However, listening to this song did creep me out. Not so much the subject matter or on any guilt-laden moral grounds (which was the sole purpose of the song), but knowing that someone this obviously mentally unstable (AKA a serial killer waiting to happen...can you say John Wayne Gacy?) was out and about among society. Preaching the word of God. Who knows how many people he infected with his evangelical dementia? That's the creepy part; his disciples. Unborn Child was followed up by Story of an Alcoholic Father. Click on the title of either song title to hear an MP3 of that particular song. I'd say listen to them during the daytime, but daytime or nighttime, they're still unnerving.

See, Cheeky? I told you I could top that. *wink

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you think Lil' Markie sounds like a coherent Donald Duck when he's singing the chorus to a Diary of an Unborn Child? Or is it just me?

Friday, July 29, 2005 4:23:00 AM  
Blogger GrandPooOfAwesome said...

I have heard that song when I was a kid, but I do not remember that freak-ass voice.

Friday, July 29, 2005 6:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Must. Scrub. Brain.

Jenni
forever-star.com

Sunday, July 31, 2005 6:17:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Marvo-
Hey now! Don't go soiling my memories of Donald! ;) *shiver*

BEPS-
Isn't it!? It creeped me out too. I was a little surprised more people didn't comment. Weird. Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)

GrandPooOfAwesome-
Oddly enough, the song has been covered a few times since the original was released. Lord know why. I find that (the fact that someone would want to cover it) almost as creepy as the original.

Jenni-
Oy, I know. Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate it! :)

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 2:21:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.