Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Deal Breakers

I was talking to a friend of mine the other day and I was telling him about how I had an idea for a new blog post, called "Deal Breakers." For those who may not know exactly what I mean, here's the Internet's definition of a Deal Breaker: * A deal breaker is a significant issue relating to the proposed financing between the prospective investor and the entrepreneur that needs to be resolved in order to close the deal. For the purpose of my post, I'm defining a Deal Breaker as: A quality/issue that either dooms a potential mate from ever being more than a "friend."

I then went on to ask him what some of his deal breakers were. I already know he has a thing about men he labels "Snaggletooth" (i.e. bad teeth), but I was surprised that "shoes" were another deal breaker. In the sense that the person would dress inappropriately for certain social functions. He also went on to say he wouldn't date someone blue collar (i.e. waiter, store clerk, etc.).

This got me to thinking about what my Deal Breakers are. I know over the years that mine have evolved a little and some others have been carved in stone. One of my old Deal Breakers used to be facial hair, but now I actually really dig facial hair on the right guy. As for my current Deal Breakers, they would include:
• Bad hygiene
• Previously "straight" & married (with or w/o children)
• Sasquatch Syndrome
• No transportation
• "Bisexual"
• Fagtacular (Into the drag scene, Rainbowlicious, Bar hopper; Stereotypical)

Some of my more flexible Deal Breakers include:
• Man jewelry (God, I fuckin' HATE men who wear jewelry!)
• Closeted
• Drives a SUV
• Piercings

I know some of you may be saying to yourself "What? Being a Republican isn't a Deal Breaker?" I don't really see that as an issue since I would never be in a situation where there would be a Republican, not to mention we'd have nothing in common to begin with, so that's kind of null & void. I have some other minor rules that I go by when it comes to dating, but I won't get into those right now, mainly because I don't want them to be misinterpreted and end up having to justify my reasons behind them.

So, here's my question to you: Other than the obvious (common interests, compatibility, etc.) what are some of your Deal Breakers? Enquiring minds want to know. I wanna know!

7 Comments:

Blogger M said...

- Being physically and/or verbally abusive;
- bad language;
- misogyny;
- acting like a daddy/teacher/generally preachy, bossy and arrogant;
- nags/likes to get into fights;
- unpredictable, explosive temperament.

All big no-nos.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 5:07:00 AM  
Blogger RagDoll said...

Let's see...Can you believe I have never really pondered that?

-BAD TEETH/Bad breath
-Eternally stinky
-too much body hair
-Drives a rice rocket (You know, thinks he is in the movie 'Fast and Furious'.
-Insists on 'ghetto speak'
-over the top cheese is a killer too. You know, corny lines, smarmy looks
-If his sense of fasion is 'sports jerseys, sweats' or anything a rap star has put his name to is a gian no as well

I better stop. I could go on and on. Thank the heavens I am married so I son't have to deal with it.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 1:01:00 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Turd Ferguson said...

Men that have an Odd relationship with thier mother. Mama's boys are annoying. Teetotaler, Broke asses, potsmokin',Violent men, Men that Fart and then giggle.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 2:26:00 PM  
Blogger Dennis! said...

My dealbreakers:

- Smoking.
- Republican. (No, really.)
- Intolerant, in an "I'm always right!" kinda way.
- Back hair.

That's just off the top of my head. There's probably more, but I haven't come up with them yet.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 6:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm, females... with visible facial hair, genital piercings, sideburns (past the middle of the ear), unibrows, body odor, nasty nails, jacked up teeth (with no effort to fix them), girly, prissy, bitchy, manly, fat, scrawny, lop-sided, unemployed, old-fashioned, slutty, prude, loud, overly-amused by body functions, violent, vengeful, regretful, and/or emotional baggage of any kind... all signs leading to "no"

Tuesday, August 02, 2005 10:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

-Violent, controlling, jealous, etc. Note to asshole: You're NOT my daddy.
-No sense of humor. Very important!!
-Bad hygiene.
-Whining. OMFG I hate whining.
-Gay.
-And related to that: wants me to do a woman so he can watch. Ewww. (No anti-gay sentiment intended. I'm just 100% hetero. Um...hello? Born that way.)
-Drives an SUV. Hummer is grounds for refusing date as well as midnight tire slashing or gas tank sugaring.
-Talks about money constantly.
-Too into froo-froo restaurants and bars. If you can't hang at the neighborhood dive, you can't hang.
-Bad taste in music.
-Slut.

Glad I'm married, so I don't have to deal with it either. Still, if my current husband of 16 years (yep!) had been any of these it would have been, "Check please!"

--LCWriter
If you're not livin' on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Wednesday, August 03, 2005 3:54:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Mariana-
Hey, half your list describes me! I'm secretly offended. :) ~jk

The physically/verbally abusive is pretty much a given, though I've known people who continue to stay in those kinds of relationships, which never ceases to baffle me.

And the whole "gets into fights" thing is also a turnoff for me. I avoif big mouths who like to draw attention to themselves when out in public. They make me nervous.

Honeydew-
I never even thought about xenophobic. That's a good one. I love Xanadu! Juuuust kidding. I really know what it means. If they don't love Chinese food at least half as much as I do, then it's a no go. ;)

BEPS-
First off, there are good drunks? Lol! If they wet themselves, I'm outta there!

Ugh, I can relate to the bad table manners thing. A friend I grew up with drives me insane the way he holds his fork in his fist and shovels. I tried teaching him the proper way to hold a fork, once. Apparently bad habits are hard to break. Oh well, I'm not dating him.

Ragdoll-
LMAO! "Rice Rocket!" I'd never heard that term before. Hilarious! I used to work with a guy who drove one of those and he scared the livin' SHIT outta me when he drove. Let's just say I never got in the car with him again.

I know what you mean about the cheese. I'll never forget the time I had a blind date and we were sitting there in my living room watching a movie (or so I thought) and I feel 2 eyes burning into me, and I look over and he's just staring at me with this goofy-Gidget look on his face and I go "What?" And he says something queer like "Oh, I'm just looking at you. You're so cute." Then he insisted on singing a song...to me....eye to eye..BARF! ka-weer!

Mrs. Ferguson-
Oh man, I so don't get the burp/fart types. I already attended high school, thank you very much.

BEPS-
LMAO! I can SO relate to that! If I go to hug them and fear that I will snap their fragile body in two, no thanks. I like 'em beefy.

BTW, Sasquatch Syndrome is when a guy is MONDO hairy. Think Robin Williams. Blech!

Dennis!-
Yeah, I don't think I could date a smoker. I dunno. They'd have to be pretty fuckin' dynamite. Smoke permeates EVERYTHING.

Seth-
Oh man, I have no patience for the prissy types either. If you can't get ready to go somewhere in 30 minutes or less, fuck it. Stay home. I'll go without you.

Thanks for commenting! :)

Lcwriter-
Oh, I know what you mean about the whole "daddy" thing. i.e. "Do you really think you need that extra piece of cake, hon?" Yeah, motherfucker, I do. You think you need your laryx? Lol!

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it! :)

Friday, August 05, 2005 11:27:00 PM  

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.