Monday, June 13, 2005

What I'm Listening to: Vol. VI

This time around I'd like to take a few minutes to discuss a few of the standouts in this installment of "What I'm Listening To." I, like most people who enjoy various genres of music, enjoy different types of music at different times. There are times when I want something dark, Industrial, yet danceable (i.e. Chemlab). Then there are times when I want something down tempo, smooth and groovy. I used to refer to this music as Ambient, Trance or Electronica, but with the bajillion cross sections/subcategories of music, I have no idea WHAT some of the music I enjoy listening to is considered. It's mind-boggling. I think the confusion began in the mid 90's, when Techno (still a favorite) spun off into Garage, Breakbeat, Tribal, House, Hi-NRG, and the list goes on and on.

If I felt I could trust the people at the CD places that I shop, to put things in the right categories, maybe I'd feel a little more confident about what genre I am listening to. Unfortunately, the categories at most places are strictly limited to Rock, R&B, Dance, Soundtracks, Religious, Jazz and Country. So when I go places like Virgin Records Megastore in Dallas (where, BTW, if I write down the names of stuff that looks interesting, come home and look them up on Half.com, I can get them for WAY less money..even WITH shipping), my mind goes completely blank when I lay witness to their 2,347 genres of music. Okay, I'm exaggerating a little, but still, it's overwhelming.

So, the whole reason I started writing this in the first place, was to make you aware of some REALLY good down tempo CDs that I have bought recently that I really enjoy: Verve Remixed 3 (original Jazz artist's lyrics put to contemporary new beats. I still contend that vol. 1 was THE best. Both vol. 2&3 have their moments, too), Jazz Chillout (a 2 CD set), King Koopa (lyric-less down tempo music with a contemporary, groovy beat, though some tracks are definitely up tempo/dance...EXCELLENT CD!) and Koop and Kaskade (Electronica meets Lounge. GREAT chillout CD. Every song is great. Recommend!). So, if you're looking for something soothing to listen to, with a contemporary edge, you might want to check these out.

Here are my latest CD purchases.
• Verve Remixed 3 Hotel
• David Bowie: Little Wonder [Maxi-single]
• Betty Boo: Where Are You, Baby [Maxi-single]
The Original 80's Album
• Nat King Cole: The World of Nat King Cole
Jazz Chillout
• Erasure: ABBAesque
• Chemlab: East Side Militia
• King Kooba: Enter the Throne Room
• Drew's Famous: Fang-Tastic Grooves
• Koop: Waltz for Koop: Alternative Takes
• Kaskade: In the Moment

4 Comments:

Blogger M said...

LOVE the Nat King Cole cover.

Monday, June 13, 2005 2:11:00 AM  
Blogger Tao said...

VERVE//REMIXED is way cool.

But Betty Boo?
Get a grip ;) lol

Monday, June 13, 2005 4:31:00 PM  
Blogger Cheeky Prof said...

Erasure SO remind me of my (younger) clubbing days. *sigh* Sometimes I miss those days.

Tuesday, June 14, 2005 12:34:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Mariana-
Me too! You hit the nail right on the head with your comment. That is precisely what drew me to the CD in the first place. Just beautiful. Timeless. Great music, too. Who could ask for more?

Taoski-
What? You no likee Betty Boo? But she's so perky and she dressed like a kitty once! ;)

Cheeky Prof-
I hear ya, sister. Sometimes I miss those days too. Then I remind myself of how bad the drinks were, the time spent feigning interest in whatever some potential 'date' was talking to me about and coming home smelling like Ben Affleck's breath, and then I don't miss it half as much. Lol! Thank goodness I can get all the memories without all the side-effects all in one little spin of the CD. ;D

Sunday, June 19, 2005 4:02:00 PM  

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.