Saturday, June 11, 2005

A Visit From My Parents: The CliffsNotes Edition

• Yes, the air conditioner does eventually shut off.
• No, it doesn't run all day.
• Yes, I do need to mow the back yard.
• Yes, I know I need to pull those weeds.
• Yes, I do need to rake and bag those leaves.
• Yes, that does need painting.
• No, I didn't hear the phone ring.
• No, I haven't cleaned out the garage yet.
• No, I haven't made a dental appointment yet.
• No, I haven't lost any weight.
• No, that's not new.
• No, these shoes aren't new. I've had them for 8 years.
• Yes, I've been checking the oil and water levels on the car.
• Yes, the air conditioning does work well.
• Yes, I know this is a school zone.
• Yes, I see that car.
• No, I'm not going to hit it.
• Yes, I can turn it (A/C) down so your eyes don't dry out.
• Yes, it is hot.
• Yes, I can turn up the air conditioner.
• No, I don't like tomatoes/onions/watermelon/ketchup. I never have.
• No, you didn't tell me ________ died.
• Yes, you told me he/she had Cancer.
• Yes, you told me someone asked about me, but you couldn't remember who...but you told me anyway.
• Yes, you told me about your doctor appointment(s).
• Yes, I've been brushing my teeth.

5 Comments:

Blogger Poppy said...

I swear I have alien parents. They never nag me about anything, except the number of visits I have with them...

Saturday, June 11, 2005 7:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your parents must be related to my Aunt. I have to say things like that over and over to her during our visits.

Saturday, June 11, 2005 11:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm 42 and I have bad news for you. it doesn't end. EVER.
my parents and hub's parents still do that to us.
I will never do this stuff to my kids. ever
i was cruising blogs and found yours, great site.
keep your sanity. ;)

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 9:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

they sound exactly like my parents but mind would have added "have you thought about going back to church yet?"
fuckin' mormons :)

Thursday, June 16, 2005 10:17:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Alex H-
Oh Alex. Poor, sweet, naive, Alex. Surely you don't think they stop, do you? This is just a PARTIAL list. I involuntarily blacked out the rest. SIGH. As far as the loser part goes, don't be too down on yourself about that. My biggest fear is that I'll end up back home, slowly being driven insane by random conversation topics and what I've termed "faux listening." You know, when you're talking to someone and it's obvious they are on auto-pilot and you could pretty much say anything and they'd kick in with "that's nice" or "uh huh." Oy vey.

Thanks for dropping in and taking the time to comment! :)

Poppy Cede-
I envy you Poppy Cede. Show me the ways of The Force. Lucky, lucky, lucky. That's all I have to say about that.

Thanks for commenting! :)

LOUP-
Exactly. The key is REPETITION. I didn't even go into detail about that. OMG. I coudl have just put some parenthesis next to each one and put an 'x' and a number to indicate how many times that particular question was rasied (i.e. 'x 4). Aaaaiiigh! The insanity of it all!

Terri-
I had to laugh when I read your comment, because you know me all too well. I start out all vibrant and full of luster, then eventually they wear me down and I downshift into auto-pilot. God, it's grueling sometimes. I really do love/appreciate them, but for God's sake, give me a break at some point!

Easywriter-
I'm so glad you can relate! Funny you should mention being related. I can't tell you how many times some of my friends and I have pontificated those same words. It must be some kind of uspoken given. I'll never understand it for as long as I live, which at this rate, may not be too much longer.

Laura-
Thank you for dashing any hopes I had of resolution. Why oh why do you tell me these things? Lol! But seriously, you only confirmed what I already suspected.

Thanks for taking the time to comment, and for the kind words. I appreciate it! :)

(repeats mantra "sanity now.....sanity now...)

Lisa-
Wow, I can relate to that too. Though, my parents gave up on the whole church "thing" back in the mid 90's. That was their solution for everything. Apparently church is a cure-all for whatever ails you. If it could remedy their constant complaining, bickering, nagging, I just MIGHT consider it.

Lady Mac-
Just for that, I hope your cute lil' bulldog bites your toes. Lol! No, I know they mean well, and I do love them, but sometimes I think they are trying to drive me insane! ;)

Sunday, June 19, 2005 3:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.