Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Foul Play

One of my all-time favorite movies finally got released to DVD on November 16th: Foul Play! Sigh. I love it so. I remember seeing it in the theater over and over and over again. At one point, I even had the paperback book (wish I still had it, dammit!). It even had photos from the movie inside! I love it when they do that. I also own the 45 of the movie's theme song: Ready To Take A Chance Again, sung by Barry Manilow AND the LP soundtrack. Far out!

For those who haven't seen the movie, it stars Goldie Hawn, Chevy Chase, Burgess Meredith and Dudley Moore. Here's a brief synopsis, courtesy of the IMDB: "Gloria, a shy San Francisco librarian and bumbling cop, Tony Carlson, fall in love as they solve a crime involving albinos, dwarves, and the Catholic Church." Sigh. A "San Francisco librarian." Neat!

Man! In retrospect, this sounds a little goofy and childish (hey, I was 7 or 8 at the time), but this movie made me SOOO want to be a librarian. Not because I thought I would have high adventures or fall in love with a police officer, but because the library looked SO cool and Goldie's character, Gloria looked so bookish and cool (even as a child, I guess I had a skewed sense of "beauty"). It was the first of many movies that I would see where I found my "true calling," in regards to careers:

The Fog: I SO wanted to work in a lighthouse and have my own radio station (sans the undead pirates).
Desk Set: I wanted to work in the research department of a TV network.
And the list goes on.

The movie is so much fun on so many levels: characters, situations, sets, soundtrack. I'll go down the list and tell you who/what I think made it so good.

Music/Soundtrack:

The opening song by Barry Manilow, Ready To Take A Chance Again, is so great. I still love to sing along with it whenever I hear it. Charles Fox did all the original music for the film. Some of his credits include: Barbarella, The Bugaloos theme song, The Drowning Pool, Wonder Woman theme song, The Love Boat theme song, Little Darlings, Zapped! and so many more. Toss in Manilow's Copacabana and The Bee Gee's Stayin' Alive, and you've got a pretty great soundtrack/score.

Characters:
• Stella (played by Marilyn Sokol), Gloria's no-nonsense, self-defense expert/co-worker, is a hilarious. She steals every scene she's in.
• Mr. Hennessey, played by Burgess Meredith has a great scene where he uses his Karate skills head to head with one of the main villains.
• The Albino is SUCH a creepy, original touch. He never ceases to creep me out.
• J.J. MacKuen (played by Billy Barty) is hilariously pushy as the Bible sales man.
And there are SO many more great, original characters.

Situations:
• Gloria's moviegoing experience preceded today's Scream 2. Creepy, funny and effective.
• Gloria's altercation with the character known as Scarface is suspenseful and creepy.
• Gloria's first contact with love machine Stanley Tibbets, played by Dudley Moore is laugh out loud funny.
• Gloria's visit to Billy Barty's character in the aftermath of their first encounter is another hilarious moment in the film.
Again, so many more great scenes. I just loved them all.

Sets:
Man! I could talk about this part for hours. I still want to live in Gloria's apartment, 70's or not. It was so great. Every time I see the movie, I have to pause and soak everything in: furniture, knickknacks, wall hangings, rooms. It's all really beautiful (to me). I also dig the fact that Chevy Chase's character lives in a boathouse. Boathouses have always fascinated me: Houseboat, Drop Dead Fred, Murder By Numbers, You've Got Mail, etc. Fun!

So, by all means, do yourself a favor and see the movie. It's so much fun. You won't be disappointed.

3 Comments:

Blogger ShellyS said...

It's my favorite library/librarian movie. Ghostbusters is second, since they used the outside of NYPL's main research library. :)

Tuesday, November 30, 2004 3:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have great taste in movies!!! I remember loving this movie as a kid, and when I saw it was coming to DVD I was thrilled!!!! :D Good to know I'm not the only one who remembers this movie with fondness.
~Dody
http://www.livejournal.com/users/tynkerbelle/

Wednesday, December 01, 2004 5:20:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Shelly-
Hi! I'm so excited someone commented on this blog entry. And even more excited that someone out there loves/recognizes stuff like the library in movies! I also TOTALLY dig the library/library scene in Ghostbusters! Another movie I'd forgotten about, until you refreshed my memory, that also made me want to be a librarian (sans the creepy-ass ghost).

You know what I realized? I prefer the old "stereotypical" old, dark libraries to the new ones. i.e. City of Angels with Meg Ryan and Nicholas Cage. I really do love that movie (great soundtrack, too), but the modern library in that movie doesn't appeal to me as much.

You've given me an idea for a future blog: Movies With Libraries That I Love. Man, I can think of 3 right off the top of my head! Philadelphia, Suspect, Cherry Falls...

Thanks for stoppin' by!

Dody- (LOVE that name, reminds me of that Nickelodeon cartoon that I love: As Told By Ginger)

HOORAY! I'm so glad that someone else besides me understands what I'm talking about when I discuss this movie. I, too was SO psyched that they finally released it to DVD! It's one I've been waiting for for SUCH a long time. It's one of those movies that if I am channel surfing and come across it, I HAVE to watch it. One of those movies that literally freezes me in my tracks and sucks me right in.

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate it! :D

Thursday, December 02, 2004 3:35:00 AM  

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.