Sunday, January 21, 2007

#@&%!

No, I didn't intentionally drop the blog ball again. As I was finally getting back into the groove, from being sick all those weeks, my computer crashed. I made my attempts at "fixing" things, but just ended up with a Norton Utilities disc stuck in my disc drive. I can't say the crash was a total surprise, since various aspects of misc. programs weren't completely functional. I just didn't want to deal with having to reload all my software and transfer tons of files to flash drives (the "burn a CD" function was among those things that weren't cooperating).

I finally took the computer in to be fixed, to the one and only place remotely nearby that even works on them, who have never been able to save any of my files in the past (they just wipe it clean {which takes only minutes} and hand it back to me a week later. $100. Come again.). THIS time they WERE able to save my important files, so that was an unexpected surprise. Ultimately, I'd really like to eventually upgrade to the G4 iMac. I LOVE the design, but couldn't really afford to buy it at the time. Naturally, the model is no longer in production and I HATE the look of the new G5s. Flimsy. The guy at the workshop said he'd put me on a list if he happens to come across a used one, though he didn't seem too optimistic about that happening. Le sigh.

And speaking of surprises, I decided to have a DVD drive installed and bought a new keyboard. Wheee! The drive/installation was insanely inexpensive (I thought it would be just the opposite), so now I can do all those screen captures I have been DYING to do for so long. For the longest time I have wanted to create a library of my favorite scenes from movies and make them into a book for my personal enjoyment, so it looks like that's finally going to become a reality (the picture is really dark though, so once I figure out how to remedy that, I'll be ready to go). I promise I won't start bombarding you with them here. I may have to create yet another blog solely for this reason. Who knows. Maybe even one of those Flickr things.

Anyhoo, though I'm technically back, it may take me a few days to get back on track, so hang in there. I haven't given up on this ol' blog of mine, so I hope you won't give up on me. Besides, I have waaaay too many things to talk to you about, and complain about. Just you wait.

Epilogue: As it turns out, apparently the iMac doesn't allow you to do screen captures from DVDs. I tried it and everytime I only got a picture of a portion of the screen (maybe 3/4). I researched this phenomena and as it turns out, it's just one of those weird things that has other Mac users baffled as well. Allegedly OS 10.4 users can get around it, but I don't see me tackling OS 10.4 anytime soon. Sonofabitch.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kirk, watch for state surplus auctions. Maybe even city or county auctions, too. I got my 'sunflower' iMac just a couple months ago at the state auction up here. If your state is like ours, they have to sell surplus stuff, they're not allowed to just throw things away.

Sunday, January 21, 2007 3:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What OS are you runnin'? I use a little free software called DVD Capture, and it works just great. (DVD capping IS addictive. It so appeals to my ocd nature.)

I am running 10.4, but I -think- I had the program before that.

Monday, January 22, 2007 7:18:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Shells-
Thanks for the heads up! I'm still in the process of researching local auctions. So far I am only running across jewelry, coins and vehicles, but maybe there is a G4 in there somewhere! ;)

Cheryl-
I am using OS 9.2.2. I'd somewhat tempted to upgrade to X, but all my peripheral devices (camera, scanner) and programs (Photoshop) are OS 9 and [A] I don't want to spend a wad replacing them all if I can still do what I need to do with OS 9. Someday. :)

Monday, January 22, 2007 10:04:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! My mother is going through internet withdrawal because her computer bit the dust.
I've been in that boat before too and it made me feel so out of the loop and unconnected.

Saturday, January 27, 2007 10:18:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I missed ya!

I need my daily dose of Kirk, so get to bloggin', buddy! ;)

Monday, January 29, 2007 4:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey great blog! I'm totally addicted now. I'll be checking back regularly.

Aprill

P.S. I just bought my first Mac and I love this look! But anything is better than my huge prehistoric laptop that weighs more than a 10 year old kid.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 1:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.