Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Currently Reading

What do all these books have in common? I got all of them for Christmas! Hurray for people who know what I like! All synopsis are courtesy of Amazon.com.

I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence by Amy Sedaris
Synopsis: Sedaris's sidesplitting guide to throwing parties hopes to return readers to the times when the word "entertainment" was "charmingly old-fashioned, like courtship or back alley abortions." While her tongue is firmly in cheek, novice party-planners will actually find some helpful hints along the way as Sedaris offers instructions and real recipes. Her tips run the gamut from how to properly freeze meatballs (freeze them on a cookie sheet before putting them into a freezer bag so they won't stick together) and deal with the inebriated ("Better to cut them off rather than pretend it's not happening and then allow them to stay over and wet your bed"). She's a generous but crafty hostess ("A good trick is to fill your medicine cabinet with marbles. Nothing announces a nosey guest better than an avalanche of marbles hitting a porcelain sink"). Etiquette pointers include inappropriate introductions ("This is Barbara, she can't have children") and things to avoid saying to the grieving ("Did she smoke?" "Was he drinking?" "Where were you when this happened?"). Her advice is both practical and hilarious; her instructions on removing vomit stains ends with "or just toss it, chances are you've stained it before."
Comments: YES! As you know, I had been wanting this book but was waiting for the price to come down before getting it. Fortunately, one of my friends knows me so well that he got it for me and didn't even know I wanted it! There's something to be said for synchronicity.

The book is even better than I'd imagined. I am LOVING it. A LOT of thought, time and effort went into this book and it shows. I'd love to author something similiar someday. Highly recommended!

The Way to a Man's Heart by Liz Wolf-Cohen
Synopsis: Savory recipes and funky 1950s style artwork reveal the path to any man's heart, be he boyfriend, dad, uncle, son, or potential mate. From man-sized snacks like Italian submarine sandwiches and buttermilk biscuits to sweets like angel food cake and Philadelphia sticky buns, this feast of recipes is designed to tempt masculine taste buds. Delights such as Hunky Salad, Rib Stickin' Beans 'n' Pasta, and Fisherman's Favorites are included.
Comments: Believe it or not, I'd never even seen this book before and believe me, that in and of itself is rare, cosidering how I hone in on all things kitsch. Loaded with tons of great vintage photos, clip art and recipes. I love it. Again, highly recommended!

Ice Cream Treats by Charity Ferreira
Synopsis: Food writer and "ice cream person" Ferreira explores the possibilities of store-bought ice cream with recipes ranging from a richly decadent eggnog ice cream torte to an airy raspberry sorbet sandwich with cocoa meringues. While the author admits that ice cream is difficult to improve upon, she maintains that even the subtlest addition—a twist of orange zest, a white chocolate drizzle—can make a big difference. There needn’t be much arm-twisting here—the mouthwatering photography does the dirty work for her. Along with recipes for cakes, inventive shakes and malts, hand-held treats and a variety of toppings, Ferreira offers a buying guide and tips on the basics, such as softening and shaping ice cream. For the reader who wants to try something more daring, the book also contains recipes for homemade ice cream in traditional flavors like coffee, dark chocolate and vanilla bean.
Comments: My next door neighbor gave me this book coupled with a really great ice cream scoop (mine has a lime green handle!). I love them both! The book is filled with all those lovely, yet completely unrealistic photos that I love so much. Think Pottery Barn catalog meets Real Simple magazine. Recommend!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I got Amy's book, too! It made me go out and buy googly-eyes to glue on things! Happy New Year Kirk!

Saturday, December 30, 2006 11:56:00 PM  
Blogger Maven said...

I read the Sedaris book, too. Did you peek under the dust jacket yet? Too cute:)

Sunday, January 14, 2007 11:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.