Thursday, October 26, 2006

mOlé!

Today I'm going to have a couple of small moles removed from my face. I'm dreading it like you wouldn't believe. Cosmetically, they don't bother me, but my mom has been at me for years to get them removed (i.e. after my dad's Cancer diagnosis a few years ago, to be exact).

I have one near the top of my left eyebrow. Personally, I've never thought twice about it until my mom started harping on it. The plastic surgeon says that since the mole is "clear" (i.e. devoid of pigment) she's not concerned about it. The removal will leave a scar, but I don't really care. The mole is a few centimeters in diameter, but since it's so deep, the incision is larger.

The other mole is smaller and in the lower part of my right sideburn. Now THIS one I don't mind having removed since it's been decapitated on more than one occasion by the various overzealous (not to mention horrified) barber over the years. However, this mole does have pigment, so I'm hoping the biopsy comes back negative.

Since the moles are too deep to be frozen/burned off at the dermatologist's office, he referred me to the plastic surgeon who will be doing the procedure in her office. *Shudder* I'm not so worried about the pain of them being cut out, as much as I am of getting stitches in them both. I've never had stitches and I've always dreaded the day I'd ever have to have them. For me though, it's not so much the needle routine as much as it's the sticky sound the rubber gloves & blood will make. I saw that once in a movie and it's haunted me ever since.

So, wish me luck. I promise not to cry...much. My new code name will be 'Scarface.' LOL! sigh

P.s. If possible, I'll try and get 'Before/After' pictures, for posterity.

P.s.s. Thankfully, my insurance is going to cover this or I might be trying this...which costs more with shipping than my copay.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had that same procedure done last year. The stitches aren't they bad, especially if you go to a plastic surgeon, they tend to make them smaller. They gave me these little flesh colored strips of tape to cover them up too. Don't worry, it will turn out great!

Thursday, October 26, 2006 2:25:00 PM  
Blogger Fizzgig said...

My friend just had one on her face removed, it took a while to heal, but months later you cant even see a scar. It's weird when you get use to seeing something on someones face and then it's gone.

Thursday, October 26, 2006 4:03:00 PM  
Blogger Maven said...

Still waiting for the before and after pix!!

PS: will you be holding a mole funeral? Have you named your mole/s? A friend of mine named her fibroids when she had them removed.

Friday, October 27, 2006 11:05:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

*Red-
Thanks, you helped put my mind at ease. As it turned out, it did go just fine. I really like the results. I'm surprised I didn't do this sooner.

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it! :)

Mon-
Well, I'm crossing my fingers that the whole scar thing isn't too noticeable, but then what's done is done, right? I wonder if anyone I know will even notice. lol

Thanks for commenting! :)

Nuggetmaven-
I am totally still going to do that, but I am still working on the collage + the 'before' pictures turned out blurry so I am gonna have to track down an old photo of me so as to give you a general idea of what it was like pre-op.

LOL! No, but it's funny that you should say that. I don't know if you ever saw a little indie movie called Walking and Talking (it's one of my favorite movies), but there is a storyline about this girl who keeps hounding her fiancee to get this mole on his shoulder removed/biopsied and when he FINALLY does he presents her with this fancy ringbox while they are having lunch at a this fancy restaurant. Naturally, she assumes it's jewelry and opens the box to find the mole. LOL! She get's furious and considers it passive-aggressive and storms out of the restaurant.

I thought it was hilarious. LOL!

Thanks for commenting! :)

Thursday, November 09, 2006 6:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.