Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Retro Interiors

Having just purchased Better Homes and Gardens 1971 book Decorating Ideas Under $100, I found so many inspiring interiors that I thought I'd share my favorites with you. I realize that not everyone is a fan of the 70's, but you gotta admit, good design is timeless.


[1] This may seem "cluttered" by today's standards, but I love it. I think it's eclectic, inviting and comfortable-looking. Unlike my aunt's house who, even in the 70's/80's had all the warmth of a rectal thermometer. You never felt completely comfortable at her house because everything was so over-styled and artificial, not to mention everything was from the same "collection" and/or color scheme. I remember the formal living room/dining room was all blues and cremes and light-colored wood, while the informal living room/dining room was all wood and gold colors. I hated it. Give me comfortable any day. It's your home and it should reflect you. My aunt's home said "Pretentious & anal-retentive."

[2] I love all the colors and graphic elements in this room. I esp. love the Peter Max-style pillows.

[3] I thought this was such a great idea. Apparently the upper part of the piece of furniture had been a discarded wine rack at a liquor store which was simply placed on the top of the wood cabinet base. Both pieces were refinished to make a uniform look. I LOVE that the wine rack was repurposed as a book shelf!

[4] I am normally NOT a seashell fan, but I really like the collage/collection of seashells in the simple frames, hung above the couch.

[5] This might induce an epileptic seizure in some people due to it's intense combination of graphics and colors, but I really like it.

[6] Another great idea: This bold door idea is nothing more than 2 posters that have been sprayed with adhesive and attached to the door, then a clear lacquer coat was applied for a protective finish. Great idea.

[7] I just loved the shape of this cabinet and the great orange tiled floor that ties in all the other orange decorative elements. Nice.

[8] I LOVE this "you can make it" lamp idea! Here's what the captain for this photo had to say: You can build this hanging light fixture from a wire fish-keeper. First, remove top and bottom circular traps from keeper and reattach with wire two inches from bottom. Spray-paint mesh black. Make a cylindrical tube of white vinyl-coated lampshade material. Cut material to size, form a tube, and fasten with white glue. Insert tube into keeper. Next, place light socket, with ample white electrical cord, inside of tube and knot cord where it comes out top of tube. At the knot, wire cord in middle of keeper. Cut, sand, and paint an arm of wood, drilling holes at front and back to slip cord through. Ingenious!

[9] I love this colorful modular look. Esp. love the yellow book shelf with the square shelf areas. Simple, but timeless.

[10] I thought this was interesting: A candelabra made from broomstick handles, metal funnels and candles. Neat!

[11] I LOVE green and black together. I also really love those little plantation shutters. They never go out of style and let you control the light. LOVE this room.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE #3!! To me, #1 looks like it's making a comeback.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 11:35:00 PM  
Blogger Maven said...

Love #3 and #9!

Friday, October 27, 2006 11:06:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Natalee-
I agree with you about #1. I like it a lot. It's so inviting and not too stark and trying to be too "chic." I hate that.

I totally love #3 too! Isn't that awesome? I want one now!! So bookish and cozy.

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)

Nuggetmaven-
I love #3 too! How come I never think of that kind of stuff?!

And #9 is great. It's so simple, practical and modern without being pretentious. Fun!

Thanks for commenting! :)

Thursday, November 09, 2006 6:37:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.