Thursday, July 27, 2006

She Put the 'Boob' Back Into Boob Tube


I love Elvira. Ever since I started watching her now defunct show, Movie Macabre, back in the 80's, I fell in love with her and her deliberately cheesy style of humor. Movie Macabre set the groundwork for my future loves: Mystery Science Theater 3000 and B movies. I learned early on that not all movies have to be big budget and star-studded, to be enjoyed.

So, that's why I recently got the urge to read her short-lived '97 series of 'young adult' horror-themed paperbacks. I've been aware of the series since the early 2000's, but just recently got around to tracking them all down (all 3), ordering them and reading them. The three titles include: Transylvania 90210, Camp Vamp and The Boy Who Cried Werewolf. So far I've read 90210 and Camp and just received Werewolf today. The books are such fun, light reads, they transport me back to the 80's when I was still haunting the Young Adult section of the bookstore, looking for the latest installment in the Twilight or Dark Forces series. Back when I'd be so enthusiastic about finishing a book that I'd have it read within hours, instead of days, like I do now. Good times.

The books are total Elvira from beginning to end. Like Elvira's schtick, the books are brimming with pop culture references, cheesy one-liners and bad puns. I love them. If you're looking for a macabre, fun escape, heavy on the cheese, then by all means, check them out! A great spirit lifter! My only complaint: They stopped at THREE!

Transylvania 90210- Elvira's new next door neighbors consist of a hunchback and a vampire. She takes exception to their feeding habits and plans to send out the unwelcome wagon, with the help of her friends Luke Berry, Shannon Doheny, Jason, Tori, Tiffany and Brian.

Camp Vamp- The reluctant chaperon to the Happy Campers during an outdoor excursion, Elvira gets closer to nature than she is comfortable with and must rescue her charges from a legendary killer beast.

The Boy Who Cried Werewolf- Not believing her friend Whitney when he tells her he has become a werewolf, Elvira becomes alarmed when Whitney's full-moon personality emerges, and she decides to rescue him before the neighbors start shooting silver bullets.

P.s. Double feature episodes from Elvira's Movie Macabre, will begin being released this Fall to DVD (Sept. 19)! To read more about them, click the hyperlink!

Also, Elvira is slated to begin her new reality show this Fall, where contestants will compete to win a one-year contract to portray the character in various personal appearances!

2 Comments:

Blogger Merchant said...

Bless you for spreadin' the Elvira love.

Thursday, July 27, 2006 8:16:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Kyle-
It's my destiny. I luff her. I hope to meet her one day. She's just too cool for school.

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 3:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.