Monday, November 21, 2005

The Pussy Generation

A few weeks ago, the local news did a "shocking" news story on how today's teens could be in store for long-term physical harm because of how doggone heavy their backpacks are. There were woeful tales from various teens about how heavy their backpacks can get, along with images of kids walking home from school with back-breaking loads that shouldn't even be wished upon the heartiest of pack mules! Why, at one point there was even a dramatic weighing-in of the typical school child's backpack. It was horrifying! Many times I had to avert my eyes, fearing that I'd see some child have to actually leave their iPod or cellular phone at home! OMG!

Why, look what CNN had to say about it: ""Concerned that students who lug heavy backpacks will develop spinal problems, lawmakers in two states may go further than any others to try to reduce excess pounds. New Jersey lawmakers are weighing a bill that proposes setting maximum weight standards for textbooks, while a California measure would require school districts to figure out ways to reduce the weight. Other states have done studies of backpack weight and children's back pain, but none have passed legislation requiring schools to do something about it."

And just the other day I ran across this life-or-death question over at nationalhealthmuseum.org : "When assigning homework, what do teachers need to consider? How do teachers accommodate the different sizes of their students, while still expecting all of their students to have the books and materials they need to do their class work and homework each day?"

It's reaching epidemic proportions, people! Forget Weapons of Mass-Destruction, we've got real issues to deal with! The very future of our children's lives are hanging in the balance!! { insert long, loud, sarcastic donkey fart noise here }

What-ever. What I wanna know is who's putting a gun to these kid's heads and making them carry the entire contents of their locker around in their backpack? I know I haven't been in school in awhile, but don't kids still get assigned lockers? Surely the Gestapo doesn't roam the halls with a stopwatch. Surely they have time between classes to get the appropriate book for their next class. I know it's a radical concept, but it's worked for generations.

I'm so beyond sick-and-tired of today's parents (and their kids) acting as if every little thing is something to start a coalition over. Whether it's cheerleading's "risque" moves, healthy meals fortified with fluoride & Ginkgo biloba, obsessing over S.A.T. scores or making sure their angel can be reached by cell phone at all times, enough already! Jesus Christ! If it's not one thing, it's another. Today's generation of parents and their kids are the biggest bunch of pussies since The Vagina Monologues hit the stage. What's next, a 3-hour school day complete with mandatory Starbuck's breaks* and sensitivity training? Jeezus!

*Click the hyperlink to read: 'Starbucks Could Teach Students, Educators the Business of Joe'

4 Comments:

Blogger Technicolour Nightmare said...

I agree that parents whine about things a little too mcuh but the other day I saw a group of school kids with back packs that were so heavy that they were all leaning forward to stop from toppling. We have a different system here but we never really had lockers. My point is that their bags have gotten a lot heavier. But why?

Monday, November 21, 2005 12:41:00 AM  
Blogger Samantha J. said...

I remember back when i was in middle and high school my backpacks used to be heavy, and yes i had to lean forward a bit when i walked but i never once complained about it. I used to complain about having to walk home everyday from high school weither i would be hot as hell or freezing or raining. I almost got rain over from having to cross the highway everyday, carrying books in hand!

Monday, November 21, 2005 8:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The kids in my neighborhood don't even have backpacks. They have little suitcases with wheels on them.

No joke...just saw a few of them wander by my house 20 minutes ago. Now that I think about it though, the parents were pulling the suitcases.

I remember back in high school, I had a European history book that had to weigh 15 lbs. The thing was huge. It took up most of my backpack so if I had other homework, I carried the rest of the books. We were able to do it, why can't the kids today do it?

Monday, November 21, 2005 9:05:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Technicolour Nightmare-
Hmmmm. I don't know about that one, since I'm not that familiar with the way schools in Australia operate, but here in the states, the kids get assigned lockers starting in 5th grade. So here, there's absolutely no reason why they should be lugging their entire book curriculum to each and every class. I can see it happening at the end of the day, maybe, but not all day long. That's just ridiculous.

And as for having a lot of homework/books to take home each evening, maybe the kids who walk to school might need some help if it's outta control (i.e. book bags on wheels), but I know plenty of kids have some form of transportation home.

One of the things that one school around here did was to issue two books: one for home and one for school. Practical, but not fiscally realistic for most schools. I still contend that there is no way that kids today have that much homework. I'm just not buying it.

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I appreciate it! :)

Nccountry-
I hear ya (re: heavy book bags). Back in the olden days, when I was in school, I remember having heavy canvas "tote bags" filled with books. And, like you said, it was heavy, but I somehow managed to not become a hunchback or yell "Spina Bifida!!" every time I experienced some discomfort. I feel like the stereotypical old man (re: "When I was a boy, we walked ten miles in the snow...") saying that, but it's true!

Stacy-LOL! It's funny you should mention that. I was just reading a comic strip about that: ZITS. I'm pretty sure there's a "dork factor" associated with those suitcases on wheels. LOL! Suitcases! You crack me UP! It's so true, though. I remember seeing nursing students and engineering students at UTA dragging those things around. Now that I could understand, since the campus is so enormous (i.e. lockers), but high school kids? Puhleease! I somehow think they'd manage if, sans the drama, if some magical new "must-have" backpack hit the market. Slap a label on it and all problems fly out the window. What-ever. Some things never change.

Thanks for commenting! :)

Stephaine-LOL! No shit! That's hilarious! I saw the states that have the Top 10 highest S.A.T. scores can bitch, the rest need to shit their pieholes and concentrate on learning how to spell. And no, this does not pass as English: "dude u skurry,y dont u jus hop in my whip and we can pick up grub cuz well have da munchiez

I weep for the future. Books are going to become the new antiques.

If all that was standing between life and genocide was a spelling bee, we'd have a shortage of burial plots in epidemic proportions.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005 10:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.