Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Canned, Frosted, Frozen, Boiled and Fried

[1] Some of the items sold at the nearby Rainbo Bread outlet. Why people would pay nearly $3 for a loaf of Sara Lee bread, when they can get it for 89¢, I'll never understand.

Canned tamales for 99¢? Yes, please! And speaking of 'yes, please,' who could resist a delicious, frosted honey bun? Not I, said the heart transplant recipient. I also love the little Cloverhill chef, on the logo. And though these ARE delicious, they fall under the same category as Frosted Flakes to me: So sweet that one will be more than enough for a long, long time.

[2] I bought this Hormel/Dinty Moore Turkey & Dressing (with gravy) dinner at the local Walgreen's, because A) It was on sale and B) I was starving. It WAS delicious, however, there were a few drawbacks.

1) When I pulled the protective cover off the microwaveable container, my first thought was "Do I smell cat farts? I don't have a cat." It turned out it was just the meal. After checking the expiration date, I knew it was 'fresh' because it had an expiration date of like 2007 or something. Thankfully, the second one I opened didn't smell the same. Weird. And 2) There were some kind of weirdo, crunchy things in the stuffing that i didn't care for. It was a texture-thing, more than a flavor-thing. I think they were there to give the palpable-illusion of fresh celery in the stuffing, but they were more like little cubes of weirdo-crunchy bok choy. Still, overall, very tasty and I WOULD buy it again.

[3] The new 99¢ Snacker at KFC. A very good deal all around: surprisingly filling and very delicious.

[4] Tom's is the only brand (around here, anyway) that still makes those delicious Doritos-style flavors that I miss: Taco and Pizza. YUM!

[5] Hear Ye! Hear Ye! Even though I do know how to cook (though you'd never know it, by eating at my house), I am somewhat of a frozen dinner connoisseur. Though I don't normally go in for the typical frozen dinner (i.e. Hungry Man, Swanson, Banquet,etc.), on occasion I do like to buy the "family size" frozen entrees simply because that means I don't have to cook for at least 3 days. Well, instead of paying the absorbitant prices that "name" brands like Stouffer's and Marie Callender's (bleah, I swear that bitch is trying to kill me) wants for a frozen entree, I've experimented with the considerably cheaper (by $4-5) store brands.

First the bad news: Kroger brand frozen Lasagna is poopiedook (I generally don't like to get this technical, but I felt compelled to do so for the sake of this review). The meat is weird and gristly and just has a creepy gamy taste to it. Needless to say, I stopped at the Lasagna. If they can fuck up something as simple as lasagna, then why bother with the rest?

Now for the GOOD news: Tom Thumb/Safeway-brand of frozen Lasagna is AWESOME. Even better than Stouffer's. Good quality. Good taste. With the success of their Lasagna, I had to try their Chicken Enchiladas. O M G! Their awesomeness overwhelmed me. Wow. They were really, REALLY good. Bordering on orgasmic. Seriously. I was afraid that the chicken was gonna be some weirdo mystery pieces. Au contraire mon frere! Again, good quality as well as good taste. For $8, you can't friggin' beat it with a stick. Trust me. Go get some now.

[6] I stumbled upon a Taco Casa while out and about in a nearby town. I love Taco Casa! They have such nice, fresh ingredients. They also have a great hot sauce, man were my lips on fire! Twenty minutes later, that's not all that was on fire, but I'll spare you the elaboration.

[7] A few weeks ago Derik and I had lunch at Dairy Queen. Mmmm steak fingers basket, Derik's favorite!

[8] And last, but not least, these poor guys. Our local Tom Thumb is having a crawfish jamboree and these little guys are the star attraction. They had two humongous buckets of them in the deli section: live. Poor kids...but they do make a mean po' boy!

I hope you've enjoyed my foray into premature heart attack territory. Thank you.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read an article about consumers not being able to tell the differencee between brand name and store brand food products. The article went on to say that many consumers preferred the taste of the store brand.

Hey do you remember the really generic version of products they came out with a long time ago that came in a plain white packaging with the product in big black letters? I remember my parents picking up a bag of potato chips with the words "potato chips" in big black letters and me laughing at it.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 3:13:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Marvo-
Well, I think like anything, it really depends on the quality. I mean, I now know that Kroger-brand batteries suck...Kroger-brand lasagna sucks...yet their bread ROCKS (I swear it stays fresh for friggin' EVER)! So, it's really just a matter of hit-and-miss. In the case of the frozen enchiladas/lasagna, I will never buy any other brand ever again. They are just too damn delicious!

Yes! I TOTALLY remember those generic products! I remember seeing them as early as the mid-late 80's at (now defunct) Skagg Alpha Beta (remember those? Suzanna Somer's husband used to be in some of their commercials). I never thought much of them, since anything that wasn't a "brand name" was an alien concept to me at the time. However, now I wish they still existed because they were actually very graphic (not to mention very Wham! "Choose Life"-ish).

I remember the store having entire aisles/section dedicated to those products. I wish I had pictures now, because a lot of people I know don't remember them: white labels on products with their contents in bold, black letters: Potato Chips, Green Beans, Corn. Very cool. I also remember when the labels changed from being white to being bright yellow (at least they did here, anyway).

Thanks for the flashback! I hadn't thought about those in years! Can't you just see them being used in some movie somewhere? A simple idea that was very effective, yet ahead of its' time.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 10:55:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband's favorite Lean Cuisine meal is the Glazed Chicken...and that is ALWAYS on sale at Walgreen's. Gotta love that.

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 8:29:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Stacy-
Ooh, that sounds good! You know what else Lean Cuisine makes that is really good? That spaghetti with mushrooms. And I don't even LIKE mushrooms! It's that good! I'll have to try the glazed chicken now and if it comes with some of that wild grain rice or those shoestring /french green beans, I already love it! :^d

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 9:50:00 AM  

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.