Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Fish-n-Chips & Records, Oh My!

I decided to treat myself to lunch on Friday, so I took myself to Captain D's. I like Long John Silver's, as well, but I prefer Captain D's because their food doesn't taste as greasy. Sometimes you just gotta have some fish n' chips. And Friday was one of those days. The Captain D's I go to is kind of isolated from a lot of other businesses, so it's usually pretty quiet, which is always a good thing. Plus, this Captain D's is always clean and the people who work there are consistently nice. A rarity these days, when it comes to fast food. I love to go there and read the newspaper/do the crossword puzzle while munchin' on some crispy fish (I don't like their fries) and hushpuppies! Mmmmm! They also have some of the best corn on the cob and chocolate cake I have ever tasted. Perfection. As strange as it may seem, Captain D's is one of my handful of calm getaway destinations.

So, after lunch at the Captain's, I decided to stop by some thrift stores on the way home. Sadly, one had closed, one's parking lot was so full I couldn't find a parking space (let's hear it for people who take up two parking space! Yaye!... mother#$@&*%!), BUT they say the third times the charm, so I was able to stop by one place, and boy, am I glad I did! For a mere $2, I was able to get both volumes of a great old record: Persuasive Percussion Vol. 1 & 2 (1959). First off, there weren't all that many records to begin with, so I was extra lucky to find both volumes. And both records were in really nice condition. Don't get the wrong impression, I'm not some kind of record aficionado or anything. I mean, I don't go in with a list of ones I'm looking for or anything, but I do have a preference in types of records I like to buy. I am especially fond of records from the "cocktail" era (i.e. Cha Cha records, Bossa Nova, etc.). Well, when I got home I cleaned one record up (it was kinda dusty) with a cotton ball and some good ol' rubbing alcohol. The cotton ball looked like it does when I clean my face with Sea Breeze! ...Okay, my face isn't that dirty, maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit, but still, it was dirty. Let it air dry, then popped that baby on the ol' turntable. Yowsa, baby! Dig those crazy beats! I read a review online that summed it up quite nicely: "These are the most unusual records you have ever put on your turntable. It is a unique mixture of entertainment, excitement, beauty and practicality." I couldn't have said it any better. These records are quite, I hesitate to use the word 'strange,' I guess I'd consider them ahead of their time. Though you may recognize some of the song titles, their new interpretations are very unique. So unique that you may not, at first recognize the song, but once it hits a certain tempo, you're mind will flip a switch and you'll go "Wow. I thought this song sounded familiar! That's too cool!" and want to hear it all over again. Really fun stuff.

From the little bit of research I've done on the records, it looks like there are at least 4, if not more, volumes of this same series. In addition, there are similar series, one of which is called Provocative Percussion. Now, I DO have something to keep an eye out for on my next trip to the thrift stores! Oh, and by the way, I stumbled across this great record site online, BUT, unfortunately it is all in Russian. :( Actually, the site appears to cover all forms of entertainment, from Hollywood to music. Though the site is entirely in Russian, it's still fun to look at all the records (their titles are in English) and perhaps get some ideas of what to look for on your next outing! * I am including the link for the site here, as well as adding it to the Links column, located to the left of my blog page. It's Afisha.ru

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.