Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Sky Captain, My Captain

If you keep up with the new fall movies, then you know that one of them is called Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. The movie stars Jude Law, Angelina Jolie and Gwyneth Paltrow. I've been a HUGE fan of Jude Law's, long before he was a name, both as an actor and a major piece of eyecandy. I also like Angelina Jolie as a personality, but have to admit that I haven't seen or own that many of her films. On second thought, I do: Hackers, Playing God, Playing By Heart, The Bone Collector, Girl Interrupted and Original Sin. To be honest though, I bought most of those movies, not for Jolie, but for other actors in the films (Ryan Phillippe, David Duchovny, Antonio Banderas) and for misc. other reasons (re: genre, etc.). Come to think of it, I want to see 2 other films with her in them: Beyond Borders and Taking Lives. I'm a fan of both Clive Owen and suspense thrillers. With this said, I must admit I think she looks H-O-T in Sky Captain. I dunno what is it but the aviatrix gear & eyepatch "work" for her. As for Gwyneth, I some movies with her in them, as well: Se7en, Moonlight & Valentino, Great Expectations, Hush, Shakespeare In Love, The Talented Mr. Ripley and Bounce. Not unlike Jolie's films, I got most of them for other reasons (genre, visuals, Johnathon Schaech, Jude Law, Ben Affleck). I really liked her character in Moonlight & Valentino (great ensemble cast/story) and in the movie Sliding Doors which, in retrospect, I'm surprised I don't own. She's really not a draw for me, as to whether or not I want to see a film. She's become this name that the moviegoing public is expected to salivate for, but it just doesn't work that way for me.

But I digress. The reason I'm writing about Sky Captain is because, for the life of me I can't really tell you why I'm looking forward to it, if that makes any sense. For someone who is such a critic of the overuse of CGI in today's movies (i.e. An American Werewolf In Paris), I can't believe I want to see this movie. Maybe the fact that the CGI is the defining factor of the film's look, instead of an excuse to make gimmicky characters "come alive" (i.e. the recent cine-turd Van Helsing). Or, maybe it's the fact that the film has a 40's neo noir look to it. I really couldn't say. I honestly couldn't even say I will get around to seeing it during it's run at the theater. However, since I suspect that I may not, I did go ahead and purchase the paperback book, which I am currently reading. I did the same thing with Dark City, but in that case I really wanted to finish the book before I went to see the movie. I may end up doing the same with Sky Captain. Who knows? Regardless of whether the movie is fiscally successful won't be a determining factor in whether or not I decide to go see it (it never is). However, time may be. So, if you go see Sky Captain, which opens this Friday, drop me a note and let me know what you thought of it. I'll live vicariously through you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.