Monday, September 20, 2004

Come Back to the Five and Dime, Kristy McNichol, Kristy McNichol

Over the weekend, while doing some belated spring cleaning, I ran across my laserdisc copy of Little Darlings. This affected me in 2 ways: [1] Why do I own laserdiscs? I don't even own a laserdisc player (what's that about?) and [2] I like that Kristy McNichol girl. She's got spunk! Wonder whatever happened to her? While, I pondered Kristy's whereabouts, I began searching online for pictures of her to include in this blog and discovered a couple of interesting things I didn't know about her. For instance: Did you know there was a Kristy McNichol doll manufactured, back in the 70's? Or that she and her brother Jimmy cut an album back in 1978, complete with kick-ass pop renditions of He's So Fine, My Boyfriend's Back and everyone's Disco fave: He's A Dancer!? All I have to say is bring in 'da noise, bring in 'da FUNK!

One of my all-time favorite movies is Little Darlings (1980), which Kristy co-starred in with Tatum O'Neal, and in which a pre-Sex and the City, Cynthia Nixon plays tree-hugging camper, "Sunshine." For those who haven't seen it, but love those teen summer camp movies like Meatballs or Gorp, here's the synopsis: "Two 15-year old girls from different sides of the tracks compete to see who will be first to loose their virginity while at camp." SUCH a fun movie. The movie also stars Matt Dillon and Armand Assante. Unfortunately, this movie is still not on DVD and is out-of-print on VHS. However, if your video store happens to carry it (forget trying Blockbuster) or you see it somewhere used, pick it up. You won't regret it. Oh! And be sure and watch for my favorite scene where the girls steal the camp bus, to the tune of Blondie's One Way or Another! WOO HOO!

Kristy also had roles in:

The Pirate Movie (1982): Box office poison, starring Christopher Atkins and Kristy. It was a pop musical version of The Pirates of Penzance. Normally, I'm not much of a musicals fan, but I loved this LP soundtrack. You can't help but embrace the cheese of Kool & The Gang meets Long John Silver's. I couldn't get enough of the movie at the time. I loved it for 3 reasons: [1] Kristy McNichol, [2] Two bodybuilder pirates in particular (esp. the one wearing striped pants! ROWR!) and [3] The "awesome" soundtrack! I bought the book, the soundtrack and eventually the VHS (all of which, I still have). The music was so upbeat and fun, I remember my favorite scene/song in the film was called Pumpin' & Blowin' {not too gay}: Christopher was deep sea diving in one of those old diving suits, while Kristy stayed aboard the ship and kept the air pump going, thus the title. Looking back, I can't help but cringe at just how truly fruity I must have been. One of my guilty pleasures... but that's a another blog.

Just The Way You Are (1984): Kristy costars with Michael Ontkean. ROWR! I'm saying "ROWR!" circa 80's (can you say Maid To Order?) up through Twin Peaks peak. I saw him 5 years later in the horrendous made-for-TV-movie (yet, I tuned in) The Stepford Husbands (now, I've seen it all) and he was lookin' mighty haggard. Damn you, Father Time!

Synopsis: "Susan is young, beautiful and a successful flute player, but because of her physical handicap (she's got a lame leg) she's got difficulties finding Mr. Right Guy. While on tour in France, she decides to spend a few days in a ski resort wearing a fake cast around her lame leg to make sure her handicap will go unnoticed.

Then she meets Peter...
"

Dream Lover (1986): I found the newspaper clipping of this movie ad in one of my old scrapbooks the other day. Synopsis: "After she's been attacked in her apartment, Cathy starts reliving the event in her dreams. Seeking help at a sleep disorder research center, she encounters some unexpected results ..." Released 2 years after the first Nightmare on Elm Street, I was hoping this would be a creepy ripoff, but wasn't. It's what I would consider to be more of a suspense/thriller, but for some reason IMDB has it labeled as a "Drama." Overall, not a bad movie and Kristy looks dynamite. Great cinematography, too.

Two Moon Junction (1988): One of the sexiest movies, if you ask me. About a Southern debutante who falls in love with a hunky carny worker, much to her family's chagrin. Both Sherilyn Fenn AND Richard Tyson are H-O-T. Kristy plays Richard's wisecracking lesbian friend, "Patti Jean."

So, if you find yourself in a Kristy McNichol kinda mood, be sure and check out one of her movies. And if you see Kristy, tell her I said "hi."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too love Kristy McNichol. My mother thought my homosexuality was just a phase and I am sure she thought the same about my obsession with Kristy McNichol, but at 37, neither one shows any signs of going away.

And as far as Kristy McNichol treats, you forgot two things: "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia" (which I just purchased from Ebay on LASERDISC!!! for $20!) and the Kristy & Jimmy McNichol album on 8-TRACK!
Ahhh, the good times, they were good, weren't they?

Doug
NYC

Thursday, September 23, 2004 10:20:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Hi Doug!

I'm glad to see someone else, besides me, remembers and loves Kristy McNichol! I hear ya about the whole "phase" thing, too. Lol! My mom is that way when it comes to my bouts with depression. Her solution: "Keep busy. Don't think like that." Wow! Who knew it was so easy? Cancel my therapy appointment!

Oh, and the thing about The Nights The Lights Went Out In Georgia (the reason I didn't mention it) was that I haven't seen the entire movie. :( I didn't feel comfortable posting about, since I have only seen like maybe the last 20 minutes. Hopefully I will get to see the entire movie eventually, but since it's LONG out of print on VHS, it may be awhile.

And while on the topic of Kristy, I have good news for you (and any other Kristy McNichol fans out there)! I noticed that there's a guy on eBay selling the "import (translation: DVD-R....trust me, I know) " version of The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia ($11.95) AND Little Darlings ($14.95)! So, if you know your DVD player can play DVD-Rs, check em' out! Lots of rare DVD "imports."

As for the 8-track of her and Jimmy's album, I had no idea! Too cool! I hear the LP came with a poster, though. How cool is THAT?!

Thanks for checking out my blog. Come again!

-Kirk :)

Friday, September 24, 2004 1:35:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Almost forgot. Here's the URL to that guy's eBay auctions:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQgotopageZ1QQsassZclassicalQ5fvideoQQsosortorderZ1QQsosortpropertyZ1

Enjoy!

-Kirk :)

Friday, September 24, 2004 1:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.