Saturday, July 03, 2004

Kitsch Book Recommendations...

Since I have what I consider to be an extensive collection of books, movies and music, I've decided that my weekend blog entries will consist of book, movie and music recommendations and/or reviews. Today's blog is going to be about some of my favorite "kitsch" books. *Keep in mind that some, but not all of my books may currently be out of print. This doesn't necessarily mean you can't find them, you just may have to be a little more creative in where you look. I suggest used bookstores, thrift stores or online sites such as Half.com, Amazon.com or even eBay.

My first book recommendation is Roseanne Roseannadanna's "Hey, Get Back To Work!" Book, by Alan Zweibel & Gilda Radner. © 1983. Softcover.

If you are a fan of Gilda Radner or her Saturday night Live character, Roseanne Roseannadanna, then you will LOVE this book. The hilarious stories, articles and reminiscences are only compounded by the scrapbook-style photographs, cartoons, charts, etc. One of my favorite anecdotes is the "In Memory Of" portion, some of which I'll relay here: General George Patton, my pet parakeet that died when I was fourteen years old, but it really wasn't my fault. Sure, I was the one who let him outta his cage 'cause he looked like he needed some exercise. And sure, I was the one that was makin' whole wheat toast in the kitchen 'cause I felt like I needed the roughage. Okay. Okay. I also gotta admit that I was the one that made the pitcher of Kool-Aid to help the roughage flush outta my system anythin' that mighta been lyin' aroun' in there. But I wasn't the one that rang the doorbell that made me leave the kitchen to go answer the door. The delivery boy did that. And I wasn't the one that told General George Patton to fly on to the toaster, or to lick one of those hot toaster coils, or to start chirpin' for help, or to stiffen his little body, or to fall dead into my pitcher of Kool-Aid. He did that all by himself.

My other book is Philip Garner's Better Living Catalog: 62 Absolute Necessities For Contemporary Survival. © 1982. Softcover. I can't put into words how cool I think this book is. The book consists primarily of images of wacky, surreal and dare I say genius, inventions. A few of my personal favorites: Shower In A Can, The Half-Suit, The TeeVee Chair, The Chevrolounge, Dashboard Desk, Tacoradio and the Pet-A-Vision. So crazy, you gotta see em' to really appreciate em'. Highly recommended!

Other books I recommend, include:

The Wonder Book of Sex. By Glen Baxter. © 1995. Hardcover
Monkey vs Robot. By James Kochalka. © 2000. Softcover
Greetings From This Modern World. By Tom Tomorrow. © 1992. Softcover
Doc Phantom. By Jay Stephens. © 2003. Softcover. Graphic Novel
Hey Skinny!. By Miles Beller & Jerry Leibowitz. © 1995. Softcover

1 Comments:

Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Thanks mI! I appreciate the book suggestions. I've been meaning to check out Running With Scissors. I'll keep those others in mind too, on my next visit to the local book shop.
I, too, like to read assorted children's literature. Esp. the ones with kitschy/cool illustrations or mysteries. I collect the old Alfred Hitchock books from Random House. Remember those? GREAT stuff!
Thanks also, for all the nice compliments. I'm glad I made you laugh, it's something I enjoy. :)
Oh! And I totally know what you mean about the whole handbook thang. I collect those too. lol! I know, you're asking yourself, "what DOESN'T he collect?" So far, I have The Official Preppy Handbook, 2 versions of The Official J.A.P. Handbook (Jewish American Princess) and the rarely-seen Hoser's Handbook (for those wannabe Canadians!) Now if I could only locate a Valley Girl handbook...

Tuesday, July 06, 2004 8:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.