Tuesday, June 29, 2004

The Amish Love Their Camaros -OR- Sesame Breadsticks Are NOT Fire Batons

I went to discount grocery store today. The grocery store has all kinds of good stuff, though I have to admit, I wouldn't feel too comfortable buying anything like meat or dairy products there. Rule of thumb when buying frozen food: If the product has enough ice crystals on it to build a snowman with, don't buy it. I also passed on some weirdo Laffy Taffy flavor that had (understandably) been discontinued: Chocolate Mousse. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find the type of lightbulbs that I use in my Frostie Root Beer clock, for just 59¢! They usually cost more, so I stocked up. I also was excited to see a scented oil-Air freshener that I learned to love, only to have it be discontinued, in stock! *And for those of you wondering if I realize how sad it sounds to have fallen in love with an air freshener, yes, yes I know.

So, anyway, I go to check out and in a huge bin near the register is stacks of various flavors of breadsticks. And you know how I love breadsticks! (if you don't, you do now) So, I snatch up a few boxes (the sesame, my favorite) for just $1 a box!! As I'm waiting in line, I notice the couple in front of me are Amish. I briefly flash on scenes from Witness, then on to darker scenes from Deadly Blessing (though, technically those people were, "Hittites," but I digress). Once I come back from FlashbackLand, I notice that they are paying with a credit card. I didn't know Amish people even had credit cards. After they had finished checking out and were on their way to the parking lot, I nonchalantly sauntered over to the window to see what kind of vehicle they were in. I mean, if they have a credit card, then maybe the horse & buggy stereotype is out the window too. Enquiring minds wanted to know. So, get this, I watched them load their groceries (actually she was doing most of the work, he was busy standing around looking authoritative) into a Camaro! Who knew the Amish loved Camaros? I'm always learning new things.

And speaking of learning experiences, once I got in my own car, I decide to dig into those tasty-lookin' sesame breadsticks. I'm no expert, but I don't think breadsticks are supposed to taste like gasoline. Not, that I've tasted gasoline, but this was definitely some kind of petroleum product "flavor." Blech! Now I know why they were such a bargain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.