Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Misc. Book Purchases


Zabar's Deli Book by Susan Katz © 1979
Comments: This is SUCH a great-looking book. The images inside are collages composed of old woodcut clipart and are very reminiscent of some collages in one of my woodcut clipart books, done by one of my all-time favorite Surrealist artist, Max Ernst. A must-have for anyone who's a fan of New York and it's pop cultural history.
Kitsch: The World of Bad Taste by Gillo Dorfles © 1969
Comments: I went to an estate sale a few weeks ago and was shocked to see this book on one of the bookshelves, compared to the rest of the home's contents. I don't really believe in kismet, but this purchase seemed like it was meant to be. I hope the previous owner knows it went to someone who will appreciate it. This is one of those books that I've been wanting for some time.
The Muppet Movie by Steven Crist © 1979
Comments: I have fond memories of this movie. It was and still is one of my all-time favorites. I remember seeing it multiple, multiple times in the theater and also fondly remember pestering my mom to buy Cheerios, who, at the time, had Muppet Movie trading cards on the back of the box. It was a real hard sell, considering I didn't even like the cereal (at the time) and only wanted the box so I could cut out the cards on the back.
Boy Scouts of America: Lifesaving © 1971
Comments: The illustrations and photographs in these little BSoA books were so wonderfully kitschy that I had to buy them. The weird thing is, I found them at completely different places at different times, yet they're from the same time period. Weird.
Boy Scouts of America: Safety © 1971
Gods & Goddesses of the Movies by John Kobal © 1974
Werewolf! by Bill Pronzini © 1979
Comments: Just in time for Halloween!
Am I a Good Lover? The Answer Is in the Palm of Your Hand © 1981
Comments: C'mon, I HAD to buy this! It's just too deliciously cheesy. I felt like I should be sportinging a leisure suit and some shellacked hair a la the cast of Ron Burgundy.
Photography Year 1974 by Time Life Books © 1974
Comments: This book was in the Clearance section at Half Price Books for just $1!! It is FILLED with tons of beautiful images, both B&W and color. I bought it for the photographs of Man Ray, one in particular, which I'll be posting later. A dynamite book of photography!
How to Star in Swimming and Diving by Charles Batterman © 1968
Comments: Again, I was sold the minute I got a load of the cheesy B&W photographs, illustrating the various diving techniques. Fun stuff.
Masters of the Universe Play Pad
Patter for Standard Tricks by Robert Orben © 1950
Comments: After seeing the cover for this little booklet, combined with my love of vintage magician imagery, I had to get this booklet.
Easter Kitten by Janet Konkle © 1955
Comments: I found this old ex-library book at a, what I lovingly call a 'junk store', but the merchant prefers the term 'collectibles shoppe.' Whatever the case, this book was too cute not to get. All the images inside are actual B&W photos of a kitten, a duckling and an Easter egg. Adorable!
The Old Darnman by Charles L Goodell © 1906
Hollywood Album 2: Lives and Deaths of Hollywood Stars From the Pages of The New York Times © 1979
Dear Teen-Ager by Abigail Van Buren ("Dear Abby") © 1959
Pillowtime Tales by Marion K. DeGroot © 1944
A Study of the Junior Child by Theodora Whitley © 1923
Comments: Though not illustrated, this book is filled with lots of charming "old school" information. Unintentionally funny in this day and age. Perhaps I'll print some excerpts from it later.
Orson Welles: The Rise and Fall of An American Genius by Charles Higham © 1985
Comments: I know Cheryl over at Blog, Tarsier, Blog! will want this one, if she doesn't already own it. And if not, luckily, she can get a copy WITH dustjacket (and what a great dustjacket) for $2 over at Half.com! Can't wait to start reading it. BTW, there are plenty of nice B&W images inside too!
The Yuppie Handbook by Marissa Piesman and Marilee Hartley © 1984
Comments: My 'Handbook' collection may be nearing completion. I now have the Preppie Handbook, the Hoser Handbook, the Jewish American Princess Handbook and the J.A.P. Handbook (they're different books, same concept).
Mel Brooks' High Anxiety by Robert H. Pilpel © 1978
Comments: My friend Nathan got this book for me and I love it. I didn't even know it existed! I also recently bought the DVD, so now I can celebrate my love of this movie in just about every medium.
Do You Remember Pong, 8-Track, and Betamax? by Michael Gitter © 2005
Comments: My friend Terri sent me this book and I LOVE it. It chock-full of images and text about everything pop culture circa the 70's and 80's. Sigh...perfect.
Personal and Community Health by C.E. Turner © 1963
Comments: Filled with great kitschy B&W images!
Better Homes and Gardens Decorating Ideas Under $100 © 1971
Comments: Oh man, I LOVE this book. I will definitely be posting images from this book in more detail later. Good stuff!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for thinking of me. My reputation for freakish idol worship preceds me. Heh. And that IS a great dust jacket!

Coincidentally, I'm just finishing up reading Simon Callow's "Orson Welles: Road to Xanadu." Great book.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006 7:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.