Monday, July 17, 2006

What I'm Listening to: Vol. 9


Aztec Camera: Stray © 1990
Comments: LOVE this entire CD. The range in style is great, from the single The Crying Scene to the surprisingly Jazzy/retro Over My Head. Though released in '90, it takes me back to my Cure-loving days of the 80's. A must-have. For a mere 75¢ over at Half.com, you just can't go wrong!

Ladies of Jazz Remixed © 2004
Comments: Having fell in love with the Verve Remixed CDs, I bought this one for the same reason, assuming it would be potentially as good if not better. I can safely say it is not better. However, there are some good remixes (with the original artists singing the lyrics, just like on the Verve Remixed volumes), but they're not all great. The stinkiest one of all? Happy Birthday as sang by Marilyn Monroe (and I know a good remix of MM songs are possible because I have a dynamite remix of Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend). Wow. Stinky with a capital 'S.' Some of the better remixes are done on the Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald and Lena Horne songs. Worth checking out, but don't pay retail for this one.

Lords of Acid: Rough Sex [ CD Single ] © 1996
Comments: Don't you hate it when you buy something you KNOW you had once, but either can't find or, ahem, sold? I know I do! That's one reason I held back as long as I could on re-buying this CD single. That was until I found it at a used CD store for $1, so that made me feel a little better about buying it AGAIN.

Girls Against Boys: Freak•on•ica © 1998
Comments: I was tempted to leave NO COMMENT on this one, but I guess I will. Let's just say, I bought this one blind, assuming it would be as great as some of the other stuff I'd heard from this band. Unfortunately, all these songs sounds exactly the same: bad. Avoid.

Nina Simone: Sugar in My Bowl: Best of 1967-1972 © 1998
Comments: I looove Nina Simone and this 2 CD collection does her justice. I found it for a mere $6 at the used CD store up the street, in like-new condition! Great compilation!

Big Band Remixed + Reinvented © 2006
Comments: Again, another irresistible CD concept. Big Bands REMIXED. But don't be worried, it's done in such a way that it's not obtrusive of the original. Absolutely great idea. Some artists include: Artie Shaw, Pete Fountain (my dad's favorite), Benny Goodman, Tommy & Jimmy Dorsey, Les Brown and lots more. Another must-have.

5 Star: The Greatest Hits © 2004
Comments: I must be the only one around here who even remember who-the-hell 5 Star is. I distinctly remember loving their music videos and songs All Fall Down and Let Me Be The One. GREAT Pop song memories...sigh. Definitely check them out. There's not a single song that won't leave you singing along.

Re-Bop: The Savoy Remixes © 2006
Comments: I couldn't resist buying this new Electronica meets Lounge take on old Savoy classics by such original artists as: Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie and Duke Jordan, to name a few. *I haven't received this one in the mail yet, so I can't give you a review just yet, but it looks promising.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.