Sunday, January 15, 2006

Something Old, Something New...

I just wanted to do a quick post to let you know about a new TV series that premiered on the Oxygen network last Sunday: Campus Ladies. I'd been looking forward to the show since December when I started seeing promos for it on Oxygen. It didn't disappoint. It was just as crazy and funny as I thought it was gonna be (and it has a great theme song!). Most of the cast started out with The Groundlings, which has turned out sooo many great people who went on to do hilarious stuff on such shows as Saturday Night Live, Strangers With Candy, The Upright Citizens Brigade and lots more.

For those who haven't seen the show, here's a quick synopsis, courtesy of the official website: Campus Ladies follows Joan & Barri, two middle-aged housewives who decide it’s better to be a freshman at 40 than unhappy housewives forever. Ditching the suburban life of minivans and malls for keg stands and co-ed dorms, Joan and Barri enroll in school in search for the wild college years they missed the first time around. Throughout the ten half-hour episode series, the co-eds take on the fictional University of the Midwest (UMW) with wild naiveté and optimism, gliding through the raunchiest of situations with cheerful abandon.

Tonite's episode looks hilarious: Joan and Barri decide to explore their sexual identities by trying to become lesbians. Their dorm friends are not convinced and hire a deprogrammer to convince them they aren't gay. Back-to-back episodes start at 9pm and repeat at 12 midnight.*


Also, just for the heck of it, I'd like to mention that Oxygen does this thing where they show a movie 3X over the weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday), so that you have 3 times in which to catch it on the tube. This weekend it's Dirty Dancing (tonite @ 7pm). Having grown up during The 80's, you know I saw this movie. And I did...and I liked it. However, I never was a HUGE fan of the whole phenomenon (and yes, kids, it was a phenomenon; dance classes, stage productions, instructional videos, etc.). I mostly enjoyed the movie for the great music and Jennifer Grey (fresh from Ferris Bueller's Day Off; pre-nosejob, now I STILL don't recognize her). I can't say that I've ever owned the movie or found Patrick Swayze to be "all that," but it is a fun movie.

Anyway, my point: The scene where Patrick (AKA "Johnny") LEAPS off the stage (with mucho gusto), wrists crossed overhead CRACKS ME UP! Then when he gets all sassy struttin' down the aisle with his sweaty bangs a flyin', I lose it. LMAO! Who knew that when you were watching this stuff during it's time period ('87), that originally made you feel all giddy, like you could take on the world and that all wrongs had been righted...would make you laugh outloud 19 years later? My other favorite, highly-"emotional" scene is when Johnny is leaving and the song She's Like the Wind (which became a one-hit wonder for Swayze...yes he actually sang the song. lol!) begins to play. Yes, it's a catchy tune and yes I can sing some of it, but nonetheless, it still cracks me up to see it in context. And remember, "No one puts Baby in the corner!" ROTFLMAO!


*In addition, back-to-back episodes repeat on Saturday afternoon (2pm) and Monday nights (9pm). Check your local listings for time and channel.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cole said...

I am all about Jerry Orbach in that movie too (pre-Law & Order). I have caught it over the years too on T.V. - the only time I get the same feel of the movie as I did when I was 16 is when I am drunk...go figure - it all seems so believable when I have a couple of cocktails:) - Cole

Sunday, January 15, 2006 4:36:00 PM  
Blogger M said...

I only saw Jennifer Grey post-op once, on one episode in some TV series. The only reason I recognized her was because I couldn't stop staring at that strange actress's obviously phony nose. I stared and stared, until it dawned on me it was Jennifer Grey! I still can't believe she went to all that pain and expense, only to look worse than she did before.

Sunday, January 15, 2006 7:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.