Thursday, January 12, 2006

FABric


Like most kids, I detested going shopping with my mother at most of the places she liked to shop at, with two exceptions: (1) bookstores and (2) fabric stores. I used to love going to the fabric store because I loved looking at/feeling all the textures and patterns. I especially loved it when my mom would let me pick something out for her to make for me, like an Arthur throw pillow (Arthur was Raggedy Ann and Andy's dog) or material for pillowcases. My mom was (is) a whiz at making pillowcases, curtains, throw pillows, you name it. I still come across fabric from time to time and have her make me a pillow cover or two. I still have some of my favorites she made back in the 70's, as well as my most recent favorites: 2 very shiny, very fabulous gun metal-silver lamé pillows for the love seat in my computer room. SO inspired by Morrissey. I just love them.

Anyhoo, I recently decided to go on a virtual scavenger hunt for cool fabrics and thought you might like to see what I came up with. The last 3 cubes at the bottom are the my 2 favorite 70's pillow covers and the one with the Kliban cat on it are bedsheets I bought on eBay that she made into curtains for my kitchen. I just love them, but then I love all things Kliban. But the original Kliban not that shit his wife churns out now. It's just not the same.

*I found a lot (but not all) of these fabrics at Fabric Attic online. Check them out, they've got some great stuff.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

spiffy! all you are missing is the fabric from my super cool sesame street sheets. I refused to have any other sheets on my bed for the longest time lol

Saturday, January 14, 2006 7:07:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

OCB-
You know, I may actually have some of them around here somewhere. A long time ago I used to buy bedding from the 70's and 80's and resale it on eBay. I'm talkin' Pound Puppies, He-Man, Star Wars, Garfield, Rainbow Brite, you name it, I found and sold it! My favorite find (that I kept): Ziggy bed sheets! I love Ziggy! Since they are for a Twin bed (like most of the really 'cool' kids sheets are), I am saving them to have them made into curtains or pillows or pieces in a quilt..something. I just haven't decided what yet!

Thanks for commenting! I appreciate it. :)

Monday, January 16, 2006 12:07:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW ziggy?!?! that is teh cooolest!

a quilt would be cool!

Friday, January 20, 2006 7:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.