Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Future Libris

[ These are books that I really wanna read, but for whatever reason, I haven't got around to yet. ]

The Dead Beat by Robert Bloch © 1960
Larry Fox is a jazz pianist just filling in at a local nightclub when the singer, who is a woman from his criminal past, steps onto the stage. Larry decides to extort money from her, but only gets roughed up for his trouble and his unconscious body is discovered by Elinor and Walter Harris, a soon to be middle aged couple out celebrating their wedding anniversary. The kindly couple nursemaid Larry and invite him to stay with them until he recovers. Larry, sensing that he's found the perfect hideaway from which to attack his former partner, accepts and begins formulting an intricate plan for revenge.

Comments: Having flipped through this book and read excerpts, I'm sad to say that I think maybe the coolest thing about this book is: [A] Robert Bloch, who penned the original Psycho (which I read and liked, BTW), also wrote this. And [B] The cover art. We'll see, but I'm usually a pretty good judge about these things.

The Donut Book by Sally Levitt Steinberg © 2004
Sally Levitt Steinberg, America's Donut Princess covers high points in donut history: the arrival of the first donuts in America with the Dutch settlers in the 17th century, and the donut in World War I, when it became the favorite nosh of the boys in the trenches. She celebrates donut-loving celebrities, from Admiral Byrd to Bill Clinton, as well as some of the most gifted donut bakers on the planet. She visits the campus of Dunkin' Donuts University and reveals the secret that makes Krispy Kreme donuts irresistible. And she identifies the most popular donut in America (glazed) and the runner-up (chocolate).

Then there are the recipes: 29 mouth-watering, soul-satisfying ways to achieve the ultimate sugar rush, from New Orleans beignets to Portuguese malasadas, from Boston crèmes to Alain Ducasse's upscale Donut. And for donut lovers who are willing to hit the road to find their favorite confection, the book comes with an illustrated Donut Lover's Guide to bakeries that serve up the lightest, fluffiest, best dressed, and tastiest donuts.


Comments: I happened upon this book while surfing blogs, and was immediately enraptured by it's cover/subject matter. I now want to read this book and add to my cookbook/pop culture collection in the process!

The Hunger by Whitley Strieber © 1981
Miriam Blaylock, rich and beautiful (vampire), lives life to the fullest-a house in Manhattan's exclusive Sutton Place, a husband she adores, priceless antiques, magnificent roses. But then John Blaylock, like all Miriam's past lovers, suddenly begins to age. Almost overnight, his body reveals the truth: he is nearly two hundred years old!

Fearing the terrible isolation of eternity, Miriam stalks a new lover. She is Sarah Roberts, a brilliant young sleep researcher who has discovered the blood factor that controls aging and thus may possess the secret of immortality. Miriam desperately wants Sarah, for herself and for her knowledge. But to win her, Miriam must destroy Sarah's love for Dr. Tom Haver, who learns that his enemy is like no other woman who has ever lived . . now or forever.


Comments: Loved the movie with Catherine Deneuve, Susan Sarandon and David Bowie, so I was inspired to read the book. Plus, I've never seen this cover before and I kinda dig it.

Time to Make the Donuts by Jessica Brilliant Keener © 2001
William Rosenberg is the founder of Dunkin' Donuts, a franchising pioneer, horseman, multiple cancer survivor, and philanthropist. He has received numerous awards and honors including Fortune Magazine's Small Business Hall of Fame and the International Franchise Association Hall of Fame. In 1959, Rosenberg founded the International Franchise Association, an organization which has grown to more than 30,000 members. Recognized worldwide for creating a dynasty selling coffee and donuts, Mr. Rosenberg died in 2002 at the age of 86.

Comments: Maybe it's a generational thing or perhaps even geographical, but I grew up with the Dunkin' Donuts brand and in my book, they'll always take precedence over Krispy Kreme. Dunkin' Donuts had me at "donut hole" (AKA "Munchkins). Their colors alone, pink, orange and brown, just scream nostalgia to me. Sure, Krispy Kreme may have beat Dunkin' Donuts to the punch by 13 years, but Dunkin Donuts will forever be ingrained in my childhood memory.

Fuzz by Ed McBain © 1968
A money-hungry deaf man terrorize the city, making the 87th pct go berserk! He's demanding money from them, but when they don't deliver, some well-known city official is murdered.

Comments: Having recently seen the movie version of this book, for the first time (and I liked it!), I felt like it was destiny that this was the first book I saw on a paperback carousel, when I first walked into the local Half Price Books. Besides, I thought the cover was super groovy.

3 Comments:

Blogger M said...

I admit I am not an expert in donuts, but I had never heard of Portuguese Malasadas. My guess is it's probably a portmanteau word meaning badly (mal) coked (assadas). I googled it and from the description it sounds a lot like what we are used to calling Bolas de Berlin (Berlin Balls.)

http://www.puratos.pt/default.asp?paginaleft=receitas_d2&ID=63

Wednesday, November 02, 2005 1:26:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do you tease me with all these Psycho-related items? I love Robert Bloch, I loved his Psycho books, I loved the Psycho movies...anything and everything Psycho, I love.

Yes, I know, that pretty much makes me a psycho. You have such good taste in books and movies :)

Wednesday, November 02, 2005 10:14:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Mariana-
Looking at the pictures I could find of "Portuguese Malasadas," they look an awful lot like our "jelly donuts." I used to think jelly donuts were "gross" when I was a kid, but once I tasted a strawberry-filled one and then an apple-cinnamon one, I was won over! Delicious!

Nathan-
Really? Cool! It's nice to see that someone else loves Psycho as much as I do. I even love the remake, though most hardcore fans detest it. I just considered it another take on a great movie. I loved it, visually, plus I think Vince Vaughn was at his all-time hottest as the Norman character. Of course it didn't hold a candle to the original, but I liked it for its own merits.

Thank you! What a nice compliment! I often wonder if all my weirdo book posts are even interesting to most people...but I keep making them because I love doing it! :D

Thanks for commenting! :)

Thursday, November 03, 2005 7:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.