Monday, October 17, 2005

She's So Unusual...and That's Why I Love Her

At the risk of sounding like a new generation of old-timer gushing about Glenn Miller, I really love Cyndi Lauper. I recently rekindled my love affair with her when I "rediscovered" my old VHS copy of Vibes and subsequently bought myself her 3-CD import The Great Cyndi Lauper: Greatest Hits and music video compilation DVD, over at Half.com. I chose the import in lieu of her American-released greatest hits collection (Twelve Deadly Cyns...and Then Some), because it had some of my favorites that aren't available anywhere else: Hole in My Heart (All the Way to China) (from the 80's movie Vibes) and Goonies 'R' Good Enough (naturally, from the movie The Goonies), just to name a few.

I love Cyndi because I think she has a GREAT voice and, of course, I love her style and imagination. How could I not? She introduced me to kitsch before I even knew what it was! Her albums She's So Unusual (one of my first cassette tapes ordered from Columbia House in the mid 80's) and True Colors are among my favorites, though her last CD At Last, where she does covers of great American standards such as If You Go Away, My Baby Just Cares For Me and Makin' Whoopee, is really great too. A great CD for lovers of Lounge. Aside from the music/voice/lyrics, I love the cover of her True Colors CD. An homage to a well-known scene from the film Orphée (Orpheus) by Jean Cocteau, she joins the ranks of The Smiths (whose covers I've always loved as well) who also made use of the image on the cover of their single This Charming Man.


Okay, okay, the gushing is over now. So, here's my collage of some of my favorite photos of Cyndi. She's done some really great ones over the years. Very classic. Always distinctive.

7 Comments:

Blogger {illyria} said...

ohmigod! i love love love twelve deadly cyns! my album cover is tattered from worship.

Monday, October 17, 2005 3:01:00 AM  
Blogger M said...

She's so much fun! I don't know how many times I dances to her music videos "True Colours" and "Girls just wanna have fun"; and "Time after Time" is so touching.

Monday, October 17, 2005 5:42:00 AM  
Blogger GrandPooOfAwesome said...

Wow, how fabulous! I like the first pic; It's so A Clockwork Orange.

Also, very cool avatar transience!

Monday, October 17, 2005 6:03:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love this woman! Love, love, love!

She wants me, too, she just doesn't know it, yet...would you let her know?

Monday, October 17, 2005 10:14:00 AM  
Blogger {illyria} said...

thanks, grand!

Monday, October 17, 2005 10:20:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When they both hit the scen, Cyndi deserved the fame and recognition that Madonna got. Have been trying to get the music code for AT LAST. It is fab indeed

Monday, October 17, 2005 12:15:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Transcience-
I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who loves Cyndi! Twelve Deadly Cyns is a great album (as is the DVD!). She still looks great and is just as much fun as she ever was. Love that Cyndi! :)

Mariana-
She is a lot of fun, and it is totally contageous. I remember having the 45 for her single She Bop and playing over and over and over again. Such a fun video as well. I love so many of her videos, True Colors and Time after Time being some other favorites. And you're right, Time After Time is a very touching video. The only thing I could have done without, when it came to her videos, was her need to incorporate her then boyfriend (now husband) into what seemed like every video. I've since come to love him just as much, him having been in some of my favorite movies (If Lucy Fell, Unhook the Stars {God, he was H-O-T in that movie!}, Hush, XX/XY, etc.).

GrandPooOfAwesome-
Isn't it? I noticed the similarities too. Another one of my favorite movies!

Princess Wild Cow-
I pleasantly surprised that you love her too! I always knew you had good taste! :D She needs my kisses...so does her husband....ROWR. LOL!

Anonymous-
At the risk of having my gay credentials revoked, have to agree with you. Cyndi is a true original, while I like Madonna and her attention to polished detail, she borrowed a lot from Cyndi and her style. (*re: I Drove All Night video vs Vogue).

At Last is indeed an underrated album. Goood stuff.

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)

Saturday, October 22, 2005 10:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.