Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Revenge of the State Fair of Texas (Vol. 2)

Well, by semi-popular demand, here is Volume 2 of my photos taken at the Texas State Fair a week or so ago. Whenever I get around to getting the ones I took with the disposable camera developed, I'll post some of those as well. I'm anxious to see what the night shots of the Midway look like.


[1] Wall-o-Stewies. One of the more popular prize giveaways in the Midway. Both me and my friend Derik attempted to win one by playing skeeball. Needless to say, it didn't happen. You had to score at least a 190. I think the closest I got was 110. Gyp. (*)

[2] This great photograph of Elvis was among the many Elvis mementos on view at an Elvis exhibit within The Hall of State.

[3] One of the many neon-colored palm trees scattered throughout the Midway. They lit up once it got dark! Pretty! (*)

[4] "You Ain't Nuthin' But a Hound Dog" was the theme of this year's butter sculpture. On display in the The Creative Arts Building, there were also 3 or 4 "hound dogs" and a doghouse, all sculpted out of butter, accompanying The King. To be quiet honest, I've seen this artist do better. Let's just say people aren't her forte and leave it at that. You can read more about the sculpture and the artist by clicking here.

[5] Anybody home? Detail of one of the dollhouses on display in the The Hall of State.

[6] Some festive honeycomb decorations in a trader's booth that featured clothes of the Asian persuasion.

[7] Detail of one of the beautiful, Gothic figures surrounding the base of a light on the steps leading to The Hall of State. This one was my favorite.

[8] Old meets new. This merry-go-round was incredibly beautiful and ornate. And as my friend Derik pointed out, the horses on the outside were new fiberglass models, while the older, original horses were housed closer to the carousel's base. Pretty! (*)

[9] Spongebob! Nooooooo! Colorful sponges as seen at The Dallas Aquarium. (*)

[10] Meet Beauregard ("Beau), Elsie the Cow's son. He was in the crib (complete with mobile) next to Elsie. What a cutie-face!

[11] The inspiration for the B-52's song, this Rock Lobster was on view at, you guessed it, The Dallas Aquarium. Mmmmm! Where's the drawn butter?

[12] This little freak darling was one of the many children scattered throughout The Food & Grains building. These huge banners were hanging overhead for all to see. This one creeped me out because I have no fuckin' idea what the hell she is gnawing on. It looks like a lightly-breaded rabbit's foot to me. Whatever it is, it's red and gooey on the inside. Bleah! Bad photo. Bad.

[13] The train that surrounds Fair Park. All aboard! You could hear its whistle screech throughout the park during its run.

[14] The Fair Park Band Shell. Personally, every time I see this photo it reminds me of that TV commercial for that Betty Crocker Bake'n Fill dessert maker. Either that or the Looney Toons logo.

[15] I dunno why, but I found this peeling sign for the Men's room, um...apeeling.

[16] Mekka Lekka Hi-Mekka Hiney Ho! A genie outside one of the fun houses on the Midway.

[17] Meet Gimpy Gimbo...at least that's what my friend Derik dubbed him. This cute lil' Sea Turtle had nubby front and back limbs. Why, I dunno. Perhaps he was rescued by The Dallas Aquarium. Perhaps he was somehow associated with the lesser-known Turtle Mafia. We'll never know. (*)

[18] Love, exciting and new
Come Aboard. We're expecting youuuuuuuuu...The Love Boat soon will be making another run...The Love Boat...
Now you know I just had to take a picture of Mistuh Faboo-luss, shown here. He was sitting on one of the many coin-operated foot massagers scattered throughout the park, no doubt taking an important phone call from headquarters. Note the delicious gold buttons. This playa got bling, yo!

[19] This guy and his wife and his little girl all rode with Derik and I on the Texas Star ferris wheel. It was their first time at the Texas State Fair, so needless to say, they were having a good time. They were all so cute and friendly. Personally, I liked the father in particular. I wanted to pinch his little cheeks and hug him and squeeze him and call him George. But I didn't. But I did manage to snap this photo...with the flash ON. OMG, I was mortified on the inside, thinking surely someone detected it. Nope. Just more proof that people truly are oblivious to their surroundings. Yay me!

[20] This is Pouty McButterpants. He was just some little ol' grumpy-looking fish I thought was colorful...again, taken at The Dallas Aquarium.

[21] Elsie is ready for her close-up. So cute. What a star!

[22] Some random plastic shark hanging over one of the tanks at The Dallas Aquarium.

*Denotes photo was taken by Derik, not me.

4 Comments:

Blogger M said...

When I fist saw those sponges I thought they were pickles! I like the Chinese dragon, it's so colourful and pretty.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 5:46:00 AM  
Blogger Dennis! said...

Okay, how bad is it that, as I scrolled through your collage, the first thing I thought was "Who is that cute boy?!?" The guy with his wife and daughter, that's who. *sigh*

mnjgf

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 4:58:00 PM  
Blogger Samantha J. said...

I really like the palm tree, its sooooo **pretty**. I can't believe you got that close to the guy and he didn't even notice you took his picture!!!

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 8:45:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Mariana-
Sea cucumbers or just plain ol' pickles in brine? LOL!

I've always loved both the Chinese and Japanese imagery. The dragon is really great. I had no idea they even made honeycomb Chinese dragons! Very cool!

Dennis!-
Get in line. All day long Derik bemoaned the fact that all the guys he found attractive had a wife and rugrats in tow. LOL! Isn't that how it always works? I have to admit, there were a lot of cute straight men at the fair. The good ones are always taken...or arrogant assholes. One or the other.

Nccountry-
I thought the palm trees were great too! They were in all different colors too!

Oh, I know! Like I said, I was initially mortified, thinking for sure he (or at least his wife) noticed. No one did. I think it was just pure luck. He had such nice, white teeth. What a cutie. His wife was a cutie too. Nice as she could be. Sometimes things just work out.

Saturday, October 22, 2005 10:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.