Thursday, September 29, 2005

Blast from the Past

OMG. Talk about a blast from the past. While going through some old binders and stuff, I ran across both my kindergarten AND 2nd grade class photos!

[ Click first image for detail ]


Some bullet points about my kindergarten photo:

• I'm wearing my favorite shirt. It was a turtleneck with graphics of pockets all over the front of it and crawling out of each pocket was a different colored frog. I thought it was so BOSS! And if you'll notice, I'm the only moron wearing fall clothes. It was really too hot to wear long-sleeved stuff, but I really wanted to wear my favorite turtleneck. So stubborn. So fashionably-challenged.

• I practically was ORGASMIC over those inflatable letters at the top of the picture. They were called "Letter People" and each week we would "meet" a new letter and listen to it's corresponding record. The one I remember most was the letter 'S' (Mr. SuperSocks)...and part of the song: "Mr. SuperSocks Streak in the Skyyy..." God, I thought they were the shiznit!!!

• Once, while sitting in a circle, doing flashcards with Ms. Hutton (the one wearing glasses on the left), she held up a picture of an acorn (NUT) and asked us "What is this?" and I blurted out "A nut like you!" and she made me sit out in the hall. We were never really close.

• It took me forever to learn to tie my shoes. Jesus, I never thought I was gonna be able to take the construction paper shoe with my name on it home! I got the paper telephone (learned my phone number) and the paper house (learned my address), but the shoe proved to be very elusive.

[ Click first image for detail ]


Some bullet points about my 2nd grade photo:

• I'm wearing my super-groovy, especially-made-for-me denim shirt from my previous post (re: Mementos). Oh! And my super-awesome Sesame Street belt with various characters all around it. SWEET!

• Judging from both photos, apparently there was a 1 black kid, 2 mexican ("latino"..."hispanic"...whatever) kids and one red-haired kid class quota in effect at the time.

• I was already being labeled a 'fag' as early as second grade. Delightful.

7 Comments:

Blogger M said...

Awwww, you were such a cute kid, your face really stands out from the crowd.

Thursday, September 29, 2005 1:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the Letter People too! And I had that bitchin' Sesame Street belt...

I think you and I would have been best friends forever!

And your principal looks like a child molester.

Thursday, September 29, 2005 1:41:00 PM  
Blogger GrandPooOfAwesome said...

This post is so, so, so, so fabulous Kirk. It's so Paul Feig. I'm gonna have to pull out some of my shit. Absolutely love the sweet Sesame Street belt btw.

Saturday, October 01, 2005 5:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg ok i just hafta lol @ Kris for a min.

*wipes eyes* phew ok.

I looove the girl in the first picture wearing her name (JILL) proudly on her shirt. Back then we could do shit like that.

I should break out the picture were i insisted on wearing my rainbow turtleneck, with the matching suspenders and shoelaces. uh huh.

great post hon

Saturday, October 01, 2005 6:13:00 PM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Mariana-
Aw, shucks. One of the great mysteries of life "What happened?" lol...sigh ;)

Kris-
SWEET! You kick ass! Another Sesame Street fashionista! We would have totally hung out and made fortune tellers out of paper and passed notes and goofed on all the lame kids. You know, all the same stuff we'd be doing now.

I had to laugh when I read the "child molester" comment! I totally thought the same thing at the time. I remember he always creeped me out. He had these glasses that magnified his eyes, so he always just looked creepy. Like Malbert from Student Bodies. Even creepier, he had a daughter my age who was also in the same grade. She didn't fall far from the tree in the looks department either. She had this huge face like a big pink shiny slab of bologney with blonde hair. Fa-reak!

GrandPooOfAwesome-
Thank you! What a nice compliment! I totally had fun creating it. Now I have to go research Paul Feig! :)

OCB-
You have to find that photo. I totally wanna see it. God, and speaking of rainbow, that shit was THE BOMB back in the day. Before the rainbow became known as the universal symbol for all things fagtacular. I remember having rainbow suspenders, pencils, pencil bag, tote bag (Jesus Christ, I just found it the other day too, but that's another post altogether), etc. I think I even had bed sheets at one point. Looking back, maybe it was all just horribly obvious foreshadowing.

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed the post! :D

Thanks for sharing with me. Now go find that picture!!!

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 1:14:00 PM  
Blogger Spicy said...

Omg, you crack me up! LOVE the pics!

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 2:36:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Spicy Pants!-
Aw shucks...thank you! It was fun seeing the pictures again and remembering what came to mind when I looked at each person. :)

Sunday, October 09, 2005 8:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.