Wednesday, July 06, 2005

The Snacks of Life

About a month ago, I started a lame attempt at losing some weight. It lasted for about 3 weeks before I broke one of my cardinal rules of "no eating after 6." 6 became 7, 7 became 8, well, you get the picture. So, with that said, I am trying to get back on track and recently started the part of the whole routine that I hate the most: "exercise." That is, if you consider walking exercise. It's funny how as we get older, things that were once everday occurences, get transformed into exercise. Lol! Sad, ain't it?

So, anyway, the whole point of this post is to show off some photos I took during my walk. I walk at a park that's relatively close to where I live. I didn't really dread the walking part of it as much as I dreaded the possibility of forced socializing (thus the sunglasses and Walkman). That's why I go in the morning before it gets too hot, in hopes that most people won't be around. I was wrong. Oh well, it wasn't that bad, just had to dodge some cyclists and crotch-sniffing dogs (precious). Forget the smell of napalm in the morning, I love the smell of fresh piles of dogshit. NOT! People who don't pick up after their dog(s) suck.

Question: Does anyone know the rules of the park walkway/bike path? Am I supposed to jump out of the way everytime someone on a bike comes up, hot on my heels? And while we're on the topic, is it just me or when people are cycling where there is traffic, aren't they supposed to be traveling AGAINST the flow of traffic? So as to be aware of oncoming traffic, rather than WITH the flow of traffic where their back is to oncoming cars? It makes sense to me, but a friend of mine and I are forever arguing this point. He thinks that cyclists should be traveling WITH the flow of traffic, which sounds dangerous and makes no sense to me. BTW, I'm referring to when they travel on the shoulder of the road, not actually ON the road. Think rural areas/neighboroods.

Back to the walkway/bike path situation. The main path has traffic going east/west. It's my understanding that people walking west stay on one side and people walking east stay on the other. Therefore, leaving the center of the walkway (it's pretty wide, BTW) open to rollerbladers, cyclists, go-kart enthusiasts, etc. So, why the hell are people ding-a-linging their bike horn as they swoop up from behind? WTF?

Also on my mind is: Have you ever done something incredibly stupid...in hindsight? I did when I went to the park last week. At the park there are 2 paths. One that winds through the wooded area and one that is out in the open, that swings by a pond-side dock with benches on it. This next part may sound odd, but I LOVE looking at the lush green grass that surrounds the dock. It's just so lush and beautiful. So, anyway, wanting to really capture the lush greenness, so as to show you here on my blog, like a total RETARD, I lean over the railing and hold my digital camera in ONE hand and take a picture (the 2nd photo in the collage) of the grass, so as not to be obscured by the railing! Everything turned out okay, but as I was walking away, it hits me: What if I'd dropped the camera? I'd been SOL! God, I really piss myself off sometimes.

6 Comments:

Blogger Angel said...

those are some great photos.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 3:44:00 AM  
Blogger M said...

I heard of that going against the traffic rule, but only when applied to walkers. I don't know about cyclists.

And are those dog or cat paw prints, you think?

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 6:33:00 AM  
Blogger RagDoll said...

Worse yet, what if you had FALLEN IN WITH THE CAMERA?

Great snaps. It inspires me to get off my tush and excercise...I mean WALK. There is a great park I used to visit almost daily around the corner from my house.

I have no idea why anyone would decide to ring their bike bells behind walkers. If they are demanding right of way , tough. As far as I know you are correct. There is 'path' down the middle. If they are just letting you know they are coming up, fine. At least that is how it was when I was into biking.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 11:09:00 AM  
Blogger Critical Darling said...

I know exactly what you're saying about the bike people. I live in a city full of them--there are literally bike paths everywhere. So, you're walking along and every two seconds they scare the shit out of you with their "ding a ling", which to me only says "Get out of the way you lazy ass, I'm on a bike here so I'm more important!" I hate them, I swear.
I've also been trying to get into shape lately, and when I say this to people who know me, they scoff. That's because I weigh less than 120 lbs and I'm 5'9". It means nothing how much you weigh. I started running and I can go for like a minute before I can't even breathe. So, I'm in bad shape but very lucky too. This is going to be a long road.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 7:59:00 PM  
Blogger girlzoot said...

I try to ride my bike to work like twice a week, and I'm thinking of walking to work the other days instead of busing it, and so I had to look into the rules for this.

First off, no matter if we are in the road or on a path or sidwalk, bikes are supposed to be going with the flow of traffic, because technically we are vehicles and can be ticketed as such (though that rarely happens).

As far as the passing thing goes, with the dinging and the talking to the person we are passing and stuff, with all the rule books I've read they say bikes are supposed to try and stay on the right of the path, pass on the left and always always make the attempt to let the person you are passing know you are passing them.

I love your shots of the park though, it definitely makes me want to start walking to work instead of just taking the bus. Much too wobbly on my bike to take photos.

Thursday, July 07, 2005 12:28:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Angel–emt_2559-
Thanks, Angel! I'm really enjoying my digital camera a lot!

Mariana-
You may have a point there. I may have gotten the 2 confused. I won't be on a bike anytime soon, so I think I'm pretty safe either way. Lol!

The paw prints crack me up everytime I walk past them on the sidewalk. Apparently some Dennis the Menace of the animal kingdom couldn't resist the wet pavement. I'm not sure, but my guess is that they are raccoon paw prints. I ruled out cat because of the elongated toes, BUT I could be wrong.

Ragdoll-
OMG, that never even occured to me. BLECH! The water looks so bleah and chiggerlicious, too, not to mention snake nirvana.

Yeah, they may just be letting me know they are there because I'm usually wearing headphones, I dunno. I've since had some even say "Passing!" when they whiz by. I dunno. I've got pepper spray so if they get too out of hand...

Critical Darling-
LMAO! Exactly! (re:every two seconds they scare the shit out of you with their "ding a ling")

Good luck on the exercising, it's a hard regime to stick with. I don't envy those people who make a living doing it. What kind of stress must THAT be. Jesus Christ, what a way to live.

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)

Girlzoot-
Ahhhh. Okay, then. Well, that makes sense I guess. You know me, always on the defense. So they are just doing "the right thing" not trying to scare the shit outta me. Good to know. Thanks!

Now if I could get the a-holes to stop littering the forest with assorted Desani bottles and other drink-related paraphernalia. Thos assholes!

Sunday, July 10, 2005 8:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.