Monday, November 22, 2004

Hair Dye Does Not a Punk Make

I still buy/read "teeny bopper" magazines, but my choice of periodicals isn't really the issue (no pun intended). However, it is where I got my latest idea for something to complain about. As I was flipping through a recent issue, I noticed a disturbing trend: What's passing as "Punk" today is a load of bollocks (I'm so British), or as I like to call it "poopie dooks." I don't know whether to laugh or cry, honestly. On the one hand, it's funny that some Nerfteen named Ashlee Simpson and some moussed boy band-looking guy with "rebel-teen (pphhllt)" hair named Ryan Cabrera are the new "Sid & Nancy" of the bubblegum set. On the other hand, it's sad because today's kiddles actually consider these prepackaged, snack-size wannabes as "Punk." Puhleeze.

Now, I'm not saying I was some badass, safety pinned, leather jacket wearing, mohawk-sporting punk when I was growing up, BUT I did know what it was and even listened/loved/owned some of it. There's a huge difference between knowing/appreciating the origins of something and worshipping at the Hot Topic alter of faux Punk music.

Gather 'round kiddies, and heed by words: Pink is not Punk. Ashlee is not Punk. Avril Lavigne is not Punk. Simple Plan is not Punk. A New Found Glory is not Punk. Good rule of thumb: If you can find it at Target, it's not Punk. Punk is Wendy O Williams wearing electrical tape over her nipples and performing topless on stage while chainsawing tv's. Punk is Johnny Rotten peeing on a drag queen after receiving head from her. Punk isn't pretty. If it is, it's not because it's trying to be. Here's what real Punk looks/sounds like:

Johnny Rotten

PiL

The Ramones

Wendy O Williams

The Plasmatics

The Cramps

The Sex Pistols

Sid & Nancy

Fuzzbox

The Dead Kennedys

The Dead Milkmen

Generation X

Buzzcocks

The Clash

The Dickies

The Damned

Circle Jerks

Iggy Pop

Ziggy Stardust

And that's just the SHORT list. Now, I'm not sayin' black dye #5, er Ashlee Simpson should go pee on anyone (except maybe her sister.) or that Benji from Good Charlotte should stop being so doggone cute. What I AM sayin is faux punk can be enjoyable (on occasion), but in respect for its' roots, let's keep it in the category where it belongs. And that category is definitely NOT Punk. "Punk Lite", perhaps.

3 Comments:

Blogger Adriana said...

hahahahaha, all i have to say is thank you for explaining to all the young ones exactly what punk should be. (I know I'm still young, but i do know that what is considered punk now is NOT punk)

Monday, November 22, 2004 11:13:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

hisonly-
Kudos to you for knowing the difference. Now spread the word to the masses. You have the power! ;) Thanks for stoppin' by!

Katrina-
Here here! The first time I saw Pink and her pink hair, I KNEW the powers that be were going to try and sell her and her "outrageous (whatever)" attitude as "Punk." Well, I ain't buyin' it. Even if I do like the dance mix of that one song of hers (I think it's called "Like A Pill," but I'm not sure).

And you're totally right. It IS bubblegum Punk. Bop magazine-friendly bubblegum Punk.

Thanks for stoppin' by! :)

Tuesday, November 23, 2004 3:09:00 AM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

Heck they barely make teen angst light. How bout Slightly pissed. Moderately Angry. Maybe Rought Tough Powder Puff.

Tuesday, November 23, 2004 5:57:00 PM  

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.