Monday, October 11, 2004

Weekend at Kirkie's

This past weekend was really great. I got to relax and do some things I enjoy.

Since I'd been having a craving for a Hungerbuster (a 1/4lb hamburger with the works), I decided to go pick up dinner at Dairy Queen. I love DQ, but I don't go very often. In addition to my Hungerbuster (sans the tomatoes), I also ordered myself a large cone (a must when visiting DQ) and a Cappuccino-Heath Bar Blizzard for later. The night was off to a good start.

I enjoy keeping scrapbooks, so I worked on those while I watched an old B&W movie. I know what you're thinking: "Scrapbooks!? Ack!" Nooooo, not this new style of scrapbooking, with colored papers, charms and other assorted Anne Geddes-style shit. These are "old school" scrapbooks: collage, magazine clippings, newspaper clippings, misc. ephemera, etc. I've been keeping scrapbooks since the early 80's, and if I do say so myself, they kick ass! I have 3 basic scrapbook styles: [1] Most of my older scrapbooks are in one of those three ring binders with those old-style photo album pages with the velum-covered pages that you peel back and put the pictures/etc. on the sticky pages (Do they even still make those? I need some more pages. If they do, let me know!). [2] For my celebrity scrapbooks I use those plastic sleeves that load at the top. [3] And, of course, I also use the old-fashioned tape/gluestick method. My old scrapbooks from the 80's mainly deal with magazine/newspaper pop culture collages, while my celebrity scrapbooks mostly contain newspaper articles, pinups and posters. For those interested, here's a list of my celebrity scrapbooks old & new:
Corey Hart
Duran Duran/Arcadia/Power Station
Ben Affleck
Elijah Wood
Justin Timberlake
Eminem
Vince Vaughn
Johnny Knoxville
I also keep a sort of celebrity grab bag scrapbook (for those celebrities that don't get much magazine articles, photos, etc.), with people such as Carson Daly, Janeane Garofalo, Ryan Phillippe, Richard Gere, etc. Looking back on all my old scrapbooks from the 80's, I'm so glad I made them.

The movie I watched was a 1946 Film Noir thriller called Undercurrent. The movie stars Katharine Hepburn, Robert Taylor and Robert Mitchum. I also noticed that one of the characters was played by the woman (Kathryn Card) who played Lucy's mother on I Love Lucy. Fun! Film synopsis: "Young bride Ann Hamilton soon begins to suspect that her charming husband is really a psychotic who plans to murder her." The movie was good, but not great as thrillers go. I think the fact that the music and the first half hour of the film were dealt with in such a lighthearted, whimsical way, that it confused the fact that this IS a thriller. I think that's mostly due to the fact that Katharine Hepburn was so well liked by audiences for her bubbly, air-headed roles. It takes a while before the suspense builds, but once it does, it kept me interested. I could totally see this one getting the remake treatment a la Hush or The Astronaut's Wife.

Since I had insomnia (natch), I stayed up really late (or early, depending on who you ask). So late that back-to-back episodes of Bosom Buddies came on! I love that show! I didn't even know it still came on anymore! Of course I recorded it and have since vowed to set the VCR for any future episodes. I loved the whole cast, especially Wendy Jo Sperber, who played Amy. I luff her. For those who aren't familiar with the early 80's TV show, here's a synopsis courtesy of IMDB: "Kip and Henry work at an advertising agency as an artist and writer respectively. When the apartment that they were living in was condemned, they had no place to live. So Amy their coworker, who has a crush on Henry, suggests that they stay with her but the only the problem is that it's for girls only. So they get into drag and assume the personas of Buffy and Hildegarde. When Kip meets Sonny, Amy's attractive roommate, he is smitten and when they learn that there's a vacancy in the building (the Susan B. Anthony Hotel), Kip convinces Henry to take it so he can be close to Sonny, and so that this experience might be good material for a book that Henry can write." Trivia tidbit of the day: Did you know there was a short-lived Atari video game based on the TV show? It's true! In the game, the player's goal was to sneak into the Susan B. Anthony Hotel, change clothes, and sneak out again. The whole time, prudish enforcers hovered overhead, showering down fistfuls of mayonnaise. For those who are skeptical, I've included an image of the game's main screen.

0 Comments:

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.