Friday, August 19, 2005

$edu¢ed by Sin City

Sin City went on sale this Tuesday, on DVD. I saw the movie at the theater and instantly fell in love with it, just like I knew I would. Absolutely beautiful film. For those who may not be familiar with the film, it's based on the comic book of the same name, drawn by Frank Miller. Here's a synopsis of the film, courtesy of IMDB: A collection of interweaving stories all based in the corrupt, crime infested hell-hole that is Basin City. Heavily influenced by film-noir, the main story lines concern a hulking brute called Marv (Mickey Rourke), who is seeking the murderer of a beautiful woman who was killed while asleep in bed with him; an ex-photographer called Dwight (Clive Owen) who accidentally kills a hero cop and has to cover it up; and a soon-to-be-retiring policeman called Hartigan (Bruce Willis) who is incarcerated for a crime he didn't commit. All based on the brilliant graphic novels "Sin City", "The Big Fat Kill" and "That Yellow Bastard", written and illustrated by Frank Miller.

The film is beautiful and owning the DVD is a no-brainer, BUT (daaaaamn, that's a big but!) let me let you in on a little something I didn't know before I bought my copy on Tuesday: The company that's releasing the DVD, Dimension Home Video is "double-dipping." In DVD terminology, that means they're releasing one version now, with the intention of re-releasing another "special edition" version later. Like the bastards over at Twentieth Century Fox did recently with Dodgeball. I love my Vince, but I'm not about to be duped into buying the new "special edition/unrated" version. The movie wasn't that great, and besides, it's a matter of principal. So, if you haven't bought your copy of Sin City yet, wait at least until you can find a used copy. I wish I had.

Personally, I'm beyond tired of all these not-so-"special editions" that seem to have flooded the DVD market lately. Initially, a special edition was just that; a special edition. I decided long ago (never to walk in anyone's shadow....heh, just kidding) that I was not going to be suckered into buying multiple copies of any DVD, especially if I already owned the "unspecial" edition. I've got to really love a movie to buy it again, and even then it better be worth my while, not to mention my money.

5 Comments:

Blogger M said...

I knew you'd like it, because you seem to like neo-noir, as so do I. I'm taking your advice on this, thanks.

Friday, August 19, 2005 6:30:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Mariana-
Ohhhhh yes. You thought correctly! I DO love Neo Noir and this one delivered it in spades. I thought it was such a beautiful movie. It's one of those movies I intend to blog about later when I talk about my favorite "visual" movies. I also thought the score was great. Pitch-perfect.

I'm glad if I coudl save you some money. From what I hear, the "special edition" version will include the theatrical version AND the director's version, as well as (supposedly) allowing YOU to play the movie in whatever sequence you want. Esentially, letting you edit the movie. If it's true, it's definitely something to look forward to!

Thanks for taking the time to comment! :D

Saturday, August 20, 2005 9:55:00 AM  
Blogger JaG said...

I loved that movie too!

Sunday, August 21, 2005 10:37:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, thanks for the tip on Sin City out now on DVD. i will get a copy cos i never saw it...all, and i mean all, my friends saw it already and loved it.
and oh, you have a really fun blog!

Sunday, August 21, 2005 11:49:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

JustAGirl-
You have good taste! And speaking of good taste, I love the little button on your page that links to [Boxed Thoughts]! I swiped it and put it on my page as well! Thanks for commenting!

Tastes Like Chicken-
Now you know how I felt when I finally got around to seeing Kill Bill for the first time last month! I LOVED it. I'd heard so much about it, at the time of its release, that I didn't want to give into th hype, but as it turned out, it really was as great as everyone said it was!

Hope you like Sin City! I'm flattered you like my blog. Thanks! And thanks for taking the time to comment! :)

Tuesday, August 23, 2005 7:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.