Saturday, April 16, 2005

Caramel Critique

There I was at Target, minding my own business, trying to decide what kind of candy I couldn't live without at that particular moment in time. Then I saw them: Junior Caramels. From the makers of Junior Mints, a subsidiary of Tootsie Roll. Mmmmm! I luff caramel!

They reminded me an awful lot of a candy I remember called Pom-Poms. Unfortunately they are just one of the many delicious candies that have been discontinued, which is too bad, because they were pretty good. Of course, one can't discount the king of bite-size caramels: Milk Duds.

If I had to rank them, it's go: Milk Duds, Pom-Poms then Junior Caramels. Don't get me wrong, the Junior Caramels were nice and soft and tasted good, but I've tasted better. They didn't have enough of a caramel flavor. That may sound weird, since that's what they actually ARE, but the caramel taste was pretty weak.

The box says that they are "ideal for snacking and sharing with friends of all ages!" That's why I'm sharing this mini review with you. Try 'em and judge for yourself, or better yet, buy some Milk Duds and Junior Caramels and do your own taste test and report back to me! Let's be careful out there!

P.s. For all you out there with fillings, like myself (God, I'm turning into my mother, next thing you know I'll be preaching the pitfalls of burning candles in the house...sigh. I'm getting old.), Junior Caramels really are very soft, so enjoy them without fear.

3 Comments:

Blogger M said...

:D I love your reviews! :D

Saturday, April 16, 2005 8:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've tried the Junior Caramels and I think their caramel flavor is a little weak as well. Also not my favorite caramel snack. I think maybe they should try them with dark chocolate like the Junior Mints. Then again I think EVERYTHING chocolate should be DARK chocolate!!

Sunday, April 17, 2005 8:43:00 AM  
Blogger Kirkkitsch said...

Mariana-
Thank you! I don't know what I'd do without your constant support. Now tell people I'm not paying you to say these things. ;) heh

Loup-
You know, my favorite caramels that I DIDN'Tt talk about are: Rolos ( I rarely see those anymore, but I used to LOVE them), Caramello, Cadbury Caramel Eggs and the now discontinued Brach's caramels. God, those were my all-time favorites.

I dunno about the dark chocolate, though. I've never been a big fan of either the dark or the white chocolate. Yet, I love Junior Mints. I remember around Halloween time when my mom would buy a bag of those Hershey minis, I would make a beeline for the Mr. Goodbars, then the Krackles, then the plain Hersheys and the 'Special Dark' would be my absolute last resort. Blech! It reminded too much of baker's chocolate, I think.

Wednesday, April 20, 2005 11:01:00 AM  

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.